Drinking the Pain Away

What if...

Kara quickly drinks her scotch, ignoring the burning pain down her throat. She knew she had to be here for her friend, yet didn't want to be here, and didn't want to be at home on Earth-38 at the same time. So what else was there to do? Drink.

She took another shot, closing her eyes for a moment. "Someone who drinks like that is looking to make the pain go away." She opens her eyes and looks to her right and sees Sara come up behind her, lining up her own shot of scotch.

"Well, my best friend is mad at me for not trusting her sooner with telling her I'm Supergirl."

"And she didn't take it well?" she asked before downing her glass.

Kara finished her own before saying, "Our families' history don't mix well with each other and she thought I didn't tell her because I couldn't trust her." She poured another glass and drank its contents yet again. "I kinda needed to get away from it all, I guess. Maybe distance me from her a bit to figure things out. Alcohol has a numbing effect and since I'm Kryptonian, if I drink alcohol faster—"

"Then it'll actually have a short-term effect instead of burning through your metabolism." Sara downed her glass and poured another. She looks up at Kara over her glass, who had a confused look on her face. "I know speedsters, remember? Basically the same metabolisms." She downed her shot again, which made Kara's head tilt.

"What are you trying to make go away?"

"Nothing," Sara said as she shrugged, pouring another glass for her and Kara. "I just like the taste of scotch. I can control my alcohol, unlike some people." She gave her glass back to her and tilted her own towards her. "Here's to making the pain go away."

"And liking the taste of scotch." She clinks her glass against Sara's with a smile, getting one with a twinkle in her eyes from Sara in return.

The next day...

"Kara! Where have you been?" Alex hissed at her as she came up to the church. "We were supposed to go back to Joe's after the party!"

"I... was out for a fly," Kara said, not so convincingly.

Alex raised an eyebrow. "You don't sound so convinced. And fully clothed?"

"No one could see me."

Alex glared at her, but that changed quickly as she looked behind her and gave someone a nod. "Lance."

"Hey, Danvers." Kara turned around and saw Sara.

Thanks to her alien metabolism, the alcohol wore off quickly and remembered every detail of last night way too well. "Hey, Sara."

"Hey..." she pointed a finger at her, trying to remember her name.

"Kara."

"Right. Right, Kara. You fell out of the bed this morning; is your butt okay? It sounded like it hurt." Oh, Alex. Alex was trying so hard not to laugh or murder her sister. Both were options, but she decided to go with a small smirk, keeping to herself.

Meanwhile, Kara flushed a shade of red. "O-Oh, y-y-yeah, I'm fine. Y'know, Girl of Steel and all, so–"

"Yeah, yeah, should've remembered. I'm gonna go get a seat. I'll see you two inside." Sara left, leaving Kara with right pursed lips and a darker shade of red as she slowly turned toward her sister, who was smirking wolfishly and trying to contain her laugh.

"You. Didn't," she emphasized with the same grin.

"Oh my Rao, I did!" Kara exclaimed, making Alex laugh now. "Four, five times, maybe! Rao, I'm a bad person–"

"No, no, Kar, you're not–"

"But I am! God, Alex, I don't do that. And, geez, Le–"

"Kara Zor-El Danvers," Alex said forcefully, but caringly. "You are not a bad person. Hell, everyone here thinks you're a frikin' ball of sunshine. Yes, you may or may not like Lena–"

"Who said–"

"You were just about to say her name now let me finish. But what I was saying was you might have feelings, and this got in the way. Maybe you had to have this so that you could figure things out. But you, my dear sister," she says, putting her hand on a shoulder and giving it a loving squeeze, "you, out of all people, are not a bad person."

Kara nods softly. "Thank you."

Alex gives her a smile. "Of course. Now, don't you have a song to sing?"

To be continued...