Don't Shoot

21. "I'm bulletproof... but please don't shoot me."

"Here's a sentence you haven't heard in a while-"

"Luthor gone rogue?"

"Missing-"

"Trying to get the rest of the family out of prison?"

"No one's seen her in days-"

"She'll end up just like 'em-"

"Is there any way to mute those?" Alex asks her sister as she and Sam walk into the bustling CatCo floor and over to her where she was standing and looking up at the screens.

Kara pointed at the screen and wordlessly muted the screens, turning on captions. "Tired of hearing all this bullshit," Sam mutters.

"You're not the only one," Kara apathetically says, ignoring them and walking to her desk space.

"You do have a plan, right?" Sam asks her, both of them following her. She turns around and leans back against her desk, crossing her arms, a blank look in her eyes. 

"I know that look," Alex states. "You have no morals right now and only care about Lena. You can't do that, we need you, the city needs you," she hisses to her in a whisper as she steps closer to her, then softens up. "Lena needs you."

"What do we have?" she asks her, no emotion to her tone at all except business.

Alex sighs and runs her hands down her thighs. "Nothing, so far. She hasn't checked in at work all day, and neither at L-Corp, according to Sam."

"Okay, well, keep me in the loop. I'll go out later."

Alex nods and whispers an okay, walking back to the elevator with the CFO. "We need to find Lena before something happens and fast."

"How are we supposed to find her?" Alex pulls out her phone and into some type of tracking app once they get in the elevator, Sam peering over her shoulder.

"Every agent has a tracker embedded in them," she explains. "And Lena's..." She sucks her teeth at the results and slides her phone in her back pocket again. "Is offline."

"And no hearing or anything that Kara can do?"

Alex shook her head. "She can't hear anything so she must be surrounded by lead on purpose." She sighs. "What the hell happened?"

<><><><>

Nia gasped as she woke up from a dream, instantly scrambling up to find her phone and falling off her couch.

"Ow." She stands up and goes to snatch her phone off the kitchen counter, hitting one of the only numbers on speed dial, raising the phone to her ear, hearing it ring one, two, two and a half times.

"Nia, you're heartbeat is going like crazy, what's going-"

"Kara," she told her to get her to shut up. "Lena. Dream. Roof of CatCo. Go!"

"What about-"

"Kara, there is no time for me or backup, you need to go now." She hears a clatter of the phone and a woosh of wind, and Kara's gone. 

Nia ends the call and bites on her fingernail. "This can't be good."

Kara lands on the helipad and looks at her back, her hair flying in the wind as she stood near the edge, hands in her trenchcoat pockets. "Lena!" 

Lena's eyes flick from looking out across the city at her voice. "Think I'm going to fall? Relax, I'm not that insane..." She turns, a dead look in her eyes. "Kara."

The hero's blood is drained from her face. "You know."

"Of course I do." Lena stepped closer, heels clicking. "I've known since the day we've met. And to think I thought I actually had someone I could rely on." Kara could hear the venom, the hurt in her voice. She stopped at the edge of the helipad, on the same ground as her. "I thought I could trust you."

"And you can-"

"But you can't trust me." Lena's on the verge of breaking in front of her, Kara sees that clearly. "I never thought I'd do this," Lena says barely above a whisper, knowing fully well that the Kryptonian could hear her as she pulled out a pistol, cocking the chamber.

"Lena, please. I'm bulletproof-"

"You think I don't already know that? This barrel is filled with kryptonite bullets that my brother left behind, you really think he would make something that wouldn't kill you?" she asks as she steps forward.

"Lena, I don't want to lose you!" The Luthor stops at those words, her expression looking lighter, brighter, but then it goes back to darkness.

"You've already lost me," she says, determined and walking closer.

"You don't want to do this."

"If I didn't want to do this, then we wouldn't be here."

"Then who will be at your side when you cry?" Lena's steps were slow as she's five yards away from her target. "Who will bring you lunch, dinner, or even breakfast if you forget?" Four yards.

Kara looks at her, hopeful. "Who will be your partner at game night if there's an uneven number? Who will be your Number One Ace Reporter?" Three. "Who will be the light to your dark if you can't get out?" Two yards distance. "Who will do anything for you if you can't do it by yourself?" One.

"Who will love you when others don't?" Lena stops, the tip of the gun right against the crest on her chest, close enough to see tears in the brunette's eyes.

"I love you, Lee," she whispers. "And there is nothing that you or others can do or say to make me stop. I'm bulletproof, so please don't shoot me, I don't want it to ricochet off and onto you."

Lena stares deep, hard, and emotionless into her eyes even when tears are threatening to fall. The gun clattering down is all that's in Kara's ears before Lena's arms are around her neck, silently sobbing.

"I got you, I got you," she whispers softly, holding onto her tight, slightly lifting her off the ground. She looks down and crushes the gun under her boot, not seeing a speck of green anywhere in the rubble.

finally getting around to some prompts lol hopefully there'll be more done