Mae's Wings Short Film

Mae's song for the Wings/YNWA eras was titled Heavy (originally by Linkin Park). Her's related to all of the boys' short films along with being her own. All of the boys were in the video as well.

Suddenly, the room changed to where she was sitting in a room full of other people, they were sitting in a circle and it seemed like one of those things where they talked about their issues in a group. Yoongi and Taehyung we both in that scene, they made a cameo in the circle. It was hard for them to shoot it because it was one of the rare times that you could see the raw emotion in Mae, which was rare to see. Mae sat there slumped over, her eyes dull and hood up so it was hard to make out her full face, staring into the camera. Once the person finished speaking, they all turned to her.

The scenes began to change to her sitting in a living room, things thrown everywhere, broken glass, tattered curtains, everything seemed destroyed. Namjoon, Jin, and Hoseok were in this part. Mae sat there staring into nothing, suddenly she began to throw random items, glass vases, cups, pillows, etc. The three just stared at her, doing nothing but it seemed they wanted to. It was as if something was holding them back. Suddenly Mae came across a lighter, she picked it up and flicked it so a flame ignited. She stared at the lit flame and held up a piece of paper to it, igniting the papers, and letting it fall to the ground.

The camera followed the fall of the papers when it suddenly changed to a feather blowing in the wind. Mae sat at the top of a building in Seoul, her feet dangling off the edge as she stared out at the city lights. She was sitting between Jungkook in Jimin who were looking at the city as well. She still had the lighter, she was flipping it on and watching the wind blow it out. Jimin and Jungkook just watched. The wind blew making her hair flow across her face, covering it and with it moved to the last scene.

She returned to the group of people, now with Jin, Hoseok, Namjoon, Jimin, Yoongi, Taehyung, and Jungkook along with a few other random people, all looking at the small female. She soon looked up at all of the people, stood up and walked out to who knows where.

______________________________________________________________________________

Mae's short film left all the fans with huge questions. Why were all of the boys in her video but she was never in the others'? What was happening? What was the story behind her video?

Unwrapping the video, it seems like her's is more aimed towards the beginning of something. But what? Her past? Was she opening up about the things she'd struggled with? It seemed like it was both of them. Mae has said that when she was young, she would often escape her house late at night and go to the roof of the tallest building in Busan and watch the lights around her. At some point, she was sent to a help group to talk about what she was struggling with by her adoptive parents. She was also left alone most of the time, with no one to watch over her or talk to her when she needed them the most.

No one exactly knows the premise of Jin, Yoongi, Namjoon, Taehyung, Jimin, Jungkook, and Hoseok being there but there is a lot of speculation that they were the ones who helped Mae the most. She was the youngest out of all of them seeing as she was 12 when she joined the group, so she missed out on some of her childhood.

Mae used to always carry a lighter with her whenever she was left alone or went out. No one really learned the reasoning behind that but it could've hinted at the time she lit some of her things on fire when she was alone and watched as it burned the items around it.

______________________________________________________________________________

Mae's filming process was hard for them all. Mae wasn't the most comfortable sharing her emotions with others yet she needed to for her short film and in front of the people who mattered the most to her. They'd all helped Mae through her darkest times and she was scared to reenact that. In the behind the scenes videos, Mae wasn't her usual self and she eventually revealed in an interview that during this time, she wasn't in her best state of mind and often had to fake her happiness with the guys.

While Mae was filming her scene when she was sitting on the edge of the rooftop, the five that weren't in that part were interviewed about what it was like.

"Honestly, it's hard to see her like this. This is what she was like growing up and at such a young age it's hard to believe that someone would experience such strong emotions," Namjoon said as he watched, "I'm proud of Mae for doing this, I know it's hard for her to do things like this but it shows that she wants to share more of herself with people. She'd been thinking about changing this, I am more than proud of her for being able to do this."

"Mae has always been a complex person, from day one I knew she was. You could tell just by looking into her eyes she had stories to share, experiences that she'd been through at such a young age. It was hard for her to give up her life at such a young age to become an idol and I know that was a big impact on her. Mae's never really gone into detail about what she's experienced but I think this is the story she needed to share," Yoongi said.

"I've never seen Mae not smiling and happy, she's always making sure we're okay and that we're healthy that she never actually takes time for herself. But I have heard Mae at times when she is at her lowest, it's hard to hear that too. Often we'd try to talk to her but it was almost as if she'd shut down. I think that everyone is going to see the most complex, deeper side of Mae," Taehyung commented.

"Mae is hard to predict at times. She's always there to support others but when others want to support her she just shuts out everyone who tries. It's hard for her to share her thoughts and ideas and feelings because that was the environment she grew up in from the day she was born to the day she joined BTS. Mae enjoys the calm more then the loud, she's calmer and more mellow compared to some of the others which makes her unique. She's definitely a complex human being," Jin said as he watched the filming.

Hoseok watched as the filming started, he watched in awe how she was so close to the edge, it gave him anxiety, "it's hard to describe Mae at times, she's often smiling around us and making sure we're okay and she rarely lets us see her when she isn't in a perfect mindset. We're all extremely proud of Mae for doing this, it's sort of like a whole story of her. Fans will see a different side of her no doubt."

Jungkook and Jimin were given a short break during the filming of when they were in the group. They first filmed the scene with just Taehyung and Yoongi and were about to replace some of the people with the rest of BTS.

"Mae is like a little sister to all of us. We always want her to be the best she is and want to make sure she is okay," Jungkook started as he watched.

Jimin nodded, "Mae joined the group at such a young age and that was a really big leap but what was interesting about her was how just by looking in her eyes, you could just tell that she'd had some interesting things."

"Mae is always the most positive and happy around all of us, we rarely ever see the times when she isn't the best. It's hard for all of us... she locks herself away from the world and refuses to come out. We've all at one point had to break into her room," Jungkook continued.

"I think Mae has more duality than she lets on sometimes," Jimin finished just in time for them to have to join in again.

Watching the video, it is obvious that the emotions that the young girl is showing are raw, they're the most real that anyone's ever seen. The boys could tell that Mae wasn't her best and they made sure she was okay. By the end of the filming, they all hugged and they awaited the finished product.