Chapter 36

Damon pulls into a parking lot to many rows of small buildings that are all restaurants. He gets out of the car and literally slams it shut, I follow him, grabbing my purse on the way in.

There are a lot of people inside which leaves me guessing it's obviously a popular place to eat.

The chairs aren't booths this time but it's two casual metal material chairs that are across from the medium sized square tables. We sit across from each other and a man waitress asks for our orders.

Damon orders a hot coffee only and I do the same. I am hungry and I forgot my wallet from rushing to Damon's car, besides I feel a little off making Damon spend even more of his money on me. But Damon reads my mind and asks me to pick any bagel on the menu that i was just reading the list off of. I don't stop myself and oblige him from getting a fresh bagel. I thank him with a smile to diminish the rather awkward feeling I'm getting with the silence he's been giving me through out half of the drive and unfortunately, right now. Why is he being so grumpy?

"Are you mad at me?" I ask, but comes out as a squeak instead.

"Why would I be mad?" Damon says in a serious tone.

"You're acting...different,"

"No I'm not," Damon says harshly.

"Damon," I press.

The man waitress who took our order before, comes back to the table to give us our food.

"Stop assuming things," Damon mutters.

Is he being serious? He's literally asking for a scene.

"You wouldn't be acting like this if you weren't mad," i say trying my best to hold in my anger towards him.

"There's a difference in being annoyed than mad,"

I scoff, "I'm annoying because you know I'm right?" I sarcastically remark.

I notice the waitress hasn't left yet and he seems worried for me from Damon's harsh tone towards me.

"What the fuck are you looking at?" Damon spits at the waitress.

The poor man leaves our order onto the table and scurries away from us. I instantly glare at Damon from his out-blast.

"You didn't have to be rude," I tell him.

I don't blame Damon for cursing out on the waitress. First off, Damon will be Damon. Second, I saw the way he looked at Damon, like he was an animal of some kind. Im so quick to go onto Damon side it scares me a little but I really do see the way people look at us because of our opposite appearances and i don't let it get to me it's my choice not theirs, but adding to the way he's talking to me is making me extra angrier and I'm not being soft to him after he called me annoying when I just wanted to know the truth.

"He was the one that was rudely staring," he exaggerates the word "rudely" after I used it towards himself.

I sigh and pick off a piece of my bagel before putting it into my mouth. I have no energy in myself to even argue about his unnecessary behaviours.

When I chew and swallow down the bagel, it tastes even better than it looks. The coffee is still pretty hot so I pick it up and blow around the top rim of the dark liquid.

My eyes lead to Damon and he's just watching me, grinning at me.

"You're so beautiful," he says but looks down. I know he didn't mean to actually say it out loud, so I give him a warm smile to let him know that Im delighted by his sweet comment. Well, now my new favourite thing is him calling me beautiful. I can't help but want to even smile more, ignoring the fact that he has serious mood changes. It isn't a joke. After every he's been through I don't blame him. I don't blame one bit.

I reach out for his hand and squeeze it for a second, then Damon brushes his thumb onto my the back of my hand which feels so good.

"I'm sorry for acting like that," he says in a soft tone.

"It still wasn't okay Damon. If you don't want to talk about something, there's no need to lash out on them for asking," I respond with an even softer tone to make the remark less destructive.

"I know..but I was being a dick,"

"Yes, you were," I tell him honestly.

Damon looks at me for a moment and I can tell he's about to smile or even laugh a little but he continues to talk.

"I know it's fucking selfish but...I was pissed at the thought of you moving, leaving me and starting a better life without me," He explains.

My heart drops from his vulnerability. I hate when he thinks of us this way. I would never leave him and nothing can change that. The way I feel about Damon is something I've never thought I'd feel about anyone. He matters so much to me and the last thing he needs to worry about is me leaving him. Yes, I'd get impassively mad at him and argue with him, but I'd never leave him.

"Damon, if I was ever going anywhere I would want especially you to come with me,"

"I cant just fucking leave with you,"

"W-why's that?" I stammer.

"Well, what if you get tired of my fucking shit and leave me with nothing when you realize I'm not good enough for you."

His flat remark is making me crumble into pieces and I hate the way he thinks like this. He needs to know I really need him just as much as he needs me.

"That's the last thing you should worry about Damon, you mean so much to me, why would I throw that all away?"

"My life is a fuck up, why would someone so perfect, like you want to get involve with me?" he lets go of my hand.

I feel his tension grow thicker in this small restaurant and my small breaths can barely handle it.

"That's far from the truth, no one is perfect. We might not be perfect but that's our challenges we share together Damon. After everything we've been through, why would I want to leave that?"

His grey piercing eyes pour into mine and I can instantly feel his reliability when his shoulders relax.

"I wouldn't know what I would do without you," he says with a neutral expression.

"Me too,"

I want to lean in and kiss him but that would be very awkward for the girl studying just a couple of feet's away from us who probably heard me and Damon banter a few minutes ago.

Me and Damon sit in silence but not like the one before he was being all grumpy. I can feel the tension drastically change when we sit in that silence where it's the most beautiful way ever. We sit there and drink our coffees while admiring each other and smiling to each other. I couldn't ask for anything better than something so small but initially the best feeling ever.