Chapter 07.

CHAPTER 06: got an ego that's too big

vote and comment

I felt so much better compared to yesterday and to be honest, I was looking forward to getting out of bed...

...until I saw the piles of empty boxes around the house that it.  I was trying to see the good of it like my mother was, but it just wasn't working for me. Dad did very little to stop us and actually, I hadn't seen him since the incident.

He didn't care, clearly, he didn't.

Things in school weren't any better. Everything at home was catching up to me and for the majority of the school day, I was distracted from my work. My teachers soon took notice and offered me free tutoring lessons to help me catch up with my work. The principal even offered some counselling for me, which I begged my mom not to agree to because the last thing I needed was to be treated like a charity case.

Charity case.

The words alone make me gag. I hated pity and whenever people showed that towards me, I would instantly want to poke my eyes out with a few pens. That sad pouty face they show me only makes it worse and I hated feeling like people had to make me a priority before something else. I'm not special and I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me.

"Darling, when you get home, can you start packing some of your breakable things in some boxes? I want to get most of it done today so I don't have to worry about the hassle of things later."

It still felt so weird to be leaving home without my dad. I did grow up in this house and every inch of it was filled with memories I can't just forget about. At the same time, what has he done to benefit our lives since I became a teenager? The list really isn't that big.

"Yeah, sure, mom. Uhm, when exactly are we leaving?" I asked and she paused for a second, her eyebrows furrowing together in concentration before her face brightens up.

"Thursday, dear. I don't want you stressing too much about it for now though. Just start packing in your own time."

I arrived in school that day and I saw Michael and his cousin stood by the lockers, smiles upon their faces. People kept mumbling my name and my emotional breakdown yesterday, but I don't even want to think about it. I would say I regret it and that would be the sensible and grown-up thing to do, but the thing is, I don't regret saying all of that to her. She deserved it for speaking about me and my mother that way. If anyone's the sick psycho, it's her. The heavy feeling of me making a fool out of myself remained with me, but the pride of standing up to Miranda was burning against it.

"Hey there, sugartits," Michael said, giving me his warm smile as Cass waved at me, looking around to see if Miranda was around.

"I heard what happened and I hope you're okay," Cass said as I pursed my lips and nodded. Pity, did I mention I hated it?

"Cass, you know she doesn't like pity, right?" Mike chuckled as she gasped before covering her face in embarrassment, a small squeal leaving her. Oh god.

"I'm so sorry," she spoke, her voice quick and panicked.

"Don't worry, I'm fine really," I said awkwardly. Why do I never know what to say in these situations? I've always been this awkward and even in the weirdest of situations, I somehow make it even more absurd.