Chapter 73.

CHAPTER 73: the fight

vote and comment

OWEN.

Today was the day I was meeting with Liam for our final showdown—I say 'I', but I actually mean me, the rest of my gang and Brielle. Even with the amount of times I told her she was better off staying at the gang compound, she simply said that if she could survive being around her crazy father for the majority of her life then she could survive staying in the getaway car.

I put on my black shirt and sighed when I saw my reflection in the mirror. What a waste of time this is, I thought. Even my parents up in heaven would be bored with this and they yearned after any kind of excitement and buzz in life. Don't worry, dad. Once this is all over, you and mom wouldn't have to worry so much anymore.

There was a sudden knock on the door and a pretty girl walked in with her usual blonde locks of hair. She had it up in a bun and wore her best smile even if I could notice her facade falling ever so slightly. Her small feet carried her in and I noticed the glass in her hand filled with a liquid and I knew right away this was her way of helping me feel better.

"Jaxon said you were stressed so I brought you a drink," she said softly as she came up to me. I watched her expression fall slightly and my arms instinctively reached out to her in which I felt her against my chest, breathing slightly rapid, "I'm scared, Owen."

My chest clamped up, stopping the air from reaching my lungs as I stared down at her in my arms. A wave of nausea hit me suddenly and I'm forced to take a deep breath just so I wouldn't throw up. I had more to lose and more on the line and even though Brielle won't directly be in danger, she'd be watching from the CCTV footage. Of course, I warned her to look away from anything disturbing, but she really wanted to keep an eye on me any way she could.

Seeing her like this looking absolutely terrified, pale skin and eyes drained of colour reminds me of that when her dad...when he died. I shook my head, removing the disturbing thought from my head before I regret it. All I have to do is come back alive and reclaim my place here because I swear if that bastard wins against me today...

I stared at the vodka in front of me before lifting it to my lips and drinking it down in one go and scrunching my eyes shut. With Brielle in my arms, I stared dead ahead at my reflection of us in the mirror. She was snuggled into my chest and even if we haven't admitted it to each other yet, I knew we still loved each other.

The words didn't need to be said.

I just knew and I knew she knew as well.

Nothing had changed since then, but we've grown as people. I don't want some human-being with shit morals to ruin what we've worked hard to achieve with each other. Brielle's already been through enough shit with her father.

"We'll be fine," I spoke as I stroked her on the head. She shifted slightly, her eyes lighting up slightly when she looking into mine, something which happened often when she saw me. Also, another one of the many things I've grown to love about her.

"Really?" she whispered, hot breath fanning my lip as I nodded. My eyes had hooded over in slight lust, the yearning to touch her the same way I had before building slowly and slowly until I softly pressed my lips to her's. I heard her gasp before she kissed me back with equal pace. Slow and steady as if we weren't rushed or affected by everything happening outside our door.

I want to make sure she graduates without any worries or fear that someone is after her so if that means sacrificing myself for that to happen then so be it. As long as she had that smile on her face, I didn't care what happened.