Chapter 17.

CHAPTER 17: this place makes my heart melt

vote and comment

I was one of the first people at the school that morning. Jaxon and Coco were waiting there already. They waved to me and I walked over to them. It was quite warm today so I wore my hair in a ponytail, which moved from left to right when I walked.

"Where's Owen?" I asked and they shrugged. There wasn't really anything suspicious about us apart from the fact we were the only students not rushing around getting to class on time. We all wore our uniforms and I highly doubted there was going to be any violence involved today. Well, that's what I was hoping for anyway.

Suddenly, a noise makes Jaxon's attention avert to his phone. As he takes it out, he saw Owen's contact on it as he answered. It wasn't too loud, but I could hear the rough voice through the phone.

"Alright, we're coming now," he said as I looked at him in confusion, "come on, love. He's waiting outside in the car."

He leads me out, his hand on the small of my back as I saw the familiar black car that belonged to the king himself. He was waiting in the driver's seat, the radio blasting music loud enough for us to hear at the top of the stairs.

"Are you ready, Brie?" Coco asked as I nodded, nervously fiddling with my fingers, "you'll be fine, don't worry."

Owen assigned Jaxon and Coco to sit in the back whilst I sit in front with him. No matter how many times we're stuck in a position together, there's always some tense air left with us and I'm pretty sure the others can feel it.

I took a sneaky peek at Owen and saw his hands steer the car with ease. When did he learn to drive so well? I was eighteen and I could drive, but not as good as Owen. He was sat casually with one hand on the wheel as the wind rushed through the windows. Coco and Jaxon were talking about the plans and what was going to happen.

"What're we doing anyway?" I asked suddenly. They stopped talking before Coco smiles and leans forward in between me and Owen.

"We're going to be doing a bit of vandalism, but I highly doubt anyone's going to notice seeing as their school already looks fucked up," she spoke before scoffing. I grinned slightly. I haven't been to Calston for years. When I was a cheerleader, me and the team went to Calston for a competition and they completely blew it and we earned a pretty easy win.

"We gotta show the guy we're not people to be messed with," Jaxon spoke up with a smirk on his face and I nodded. Maybe, I'm just too angry about this. Maybe, this isn't the right way to do it, but no guy should ever take advantage of a girl like that unless she says so. So no, I don't regret doing this. Anyway, what we're doing could be fun.

After travelling for about half an hour, we arrive at the school and it definitely could use a fixup because god, it looks a mess. The school gate needs to be repainted and the brick wall needs to be rebuilt.

"God, it looks like a warzone," Owen mumbled as he looked out of the window on my side before driving somewhere to park the car. After we found a spot, he got out of the car, but I was left in shock by how shit their school looks. I mean, they are stuck on the edge of town so fewer people actually take notice of the school, but that shouldn't stop them from sorting out some basic hygiene.

I was spacing out so much that I didn't notice Owen opening my door and calling my name. He tapped me gently on the shoulder and I blinked before taking my seatbelt off.

"Keep spacing out like that and we'll never get anything done," he muttered in a joking manner. I saw him hold a hand out for me to take and I smirked before swatting it away.