Chapter 60.

CHAPTER 60: new year, new me

vote and comment

We were going back to school in a few days so me, Cassidy and Kelly were out shopping for last minute supplies. I wrapped myself in my jacket as Kelly turned the heating up in the car. We busied ourselves by making mental lists on what we were getting as the sight of the mall caught our attention.

"Right, after we leave the mall, I need to pick up my dad from the hospital, okay?" we all nodded in confirmation and she continued driving, heading through into the car park and finding a spot close to the doors so we didn't have to walk far to get to the car.

We got out and I stretched on the spot, closing the door as she pressed the key to lock the doors. I had a small list in my jeans pocket of stuff I needed, just some stationary and socks. They just keep disappearing and I have no idea how.

Cassidy came along because she needed her pointe shoes refitted. She had refused to come with her mother so decided to come with us and we didn't mind waiting for her as she tried her shoes on.

Kelly was here for a good time. She didn't need to buy anything, but thought it would be nice to come along and also because she's our ride here. 'I'm here for the food and Victoria's secret'. That's what she said when we walked in, her arms resting on her head as we walked around, taking in our surroundings before heading into the first clothing store we saw.

Us girls really just can't resist.

I tried on a pair of sunglasses as Kelly picked out a beige coloured sundress with off the shoulder sleeves. She held it up in front of her in the mirror before smiling at me. I looked up in shock, a pair of black sunglasses gliding down my nose.

"Do you think this suits me?" she asked and I looked her up and down. I could imagine her wearing the dress. It suited her and went down to her knee. I nodded enthusiastically as she smiled, the sound of a changing room curtain opening. Cassidy came out in a pair of tight fitted ripped jeans and looked at herself before turning to us.

"My mother would kill me if she found out I was wearing ripped jeans," she spoke, pointing down to her legs. We've never seen Cassidy in ripped jeans before because she didn't even own any. She had leather trousers because her mother knew she could make them classy, but there was no way ripped jeans would ever look classy in her family.

"You look good in them," I told her as she shrugged in response. A small smile tugged at her lips as she spun around to check behind her. It was the truth because she had the legs and the figure for the jeans she wore and it was a shame that her mother controlled what she wore like it mattered when it didn't.

"You weren't the first one to say that," she spoke before walking back into her changing room, "people have said I look more relaxed in jeans, but you know how mother dearest is. She's desperate to make my life hell."

Cassidy had put the jeans away back where they belonged and joined us as we stared at the extensive lot of shoes they had. There were various stops where we discussed the kind of heel we wanted on our shoes for the end of year dance. Whether it was a chunky heel or a thin heel and whether it was tall or short, it didn't matter because the colour mattered as well.

All of us have yet to discuss what dresses we were going to wear, let alone what shoes we were going to wear. There was no doubt that Cassidy's dress would be glamorous, anything to not tarnish her family's reputation at the dance. Kelly's style consisted in solid colours, most of which were beige or pastel. She didn't like bright colours too much and I was similar. I only wore bright colours on some occasions.