Chapter 55.

CHAPTER 55: always the second man

vote and comment

It had been a week since the whole incident and I've struggled the first few days, but things were going back to normal. Jaxon told me that the day after we all got back, they went to New York to spend the Christmas with their family, but I needed to talk to them because I didn't want them to be mad at me. We've all been friends for years and so I couldn't let that happen.

"They won't be pissed off, Brielle. Just because they left in a hurry doesn't mean they hate you and actually, Cassidy told me a bunch of things before she left such as 'if you ever think to leave food out in case she comes back, put triple chocolate ice cream with chocolate chip cookies'—oh, also 'if she comes back, please comfort her for me, okay?'"

"Did she really say that?" I whispered as he looked at me hopefully. At least Cassidy's not mad because she would never let personal problems interfere with our friendship. If we ever argue, we just start talking about random stuff and then we're friends again, "what about Michael?"

"Mike-boy was surprised and quite frankly, he didn't want to leave because he wanted to stay and see if you came back fine—how about you call them? See how they are yourself," he spoke softly as I nodded. We were in my room and Jaxon sat at the end of the bed whilst spoke to him under the confines of my blanket, "oh and your stuff's at mine. If you want, I could bring it over for you. Kiara already cleaned them and ironed them."

"No thanks, I can just go and collect it myself plus, I need to speak to Owen about something. I think he's ignoring me." Jax quirked an eyebrow up in response, probably as confused as I am. He pulled himself closer so we sat across each other.

"He said he visited you yesterday," he spoke as I furrowed my eyebrows together and shook my head quickly. It was strange that Jaxon was visiting me more often than Owen seeing as he wasn't my boyfriend or anything, but he was still a close friend of mine. Even Alfonso and Kiara visited more often than he did, "really? Because he told me—he said—you guys spoke—nevermind."

Okay, what was going on? I know Jaxon liked to pull Owen's leg sometimes, but that didn't mean Owen would ever lie to his brother about anything especially if it was something small. I mean, there wasn't any point in lying about the little things because they didn't really matter. Today, I'll talk to him about it because he's had a week to be mad, frustrated and to feel other negative emotions.

"Don't worry, I'll talk to him later. Do you want one?" I asked him as I held out a pack of chocolate chip cookies. He nodded, taking one before thanking me. I watched as he stood up and threw me a wink before walking to the door.

"Guess I'll see you later," he told me as he headed out of my room.

"Okay, see you later." I was in need of some of some female company other than my mother so I called Cassidy. It took a couple of seconds before she picked up and a small smile appeared on my face, "hey, Cass."

"Oh my good god, Brielle, thank fuck you're alright," she exclaimed on the line. I chuckled lightly as she began ranting about her family. I'm guessing she's at the family estate, "my family is driving me up the fucking wall. The sooner I leave the better—anyway, enough about me, how are you doing?"

"I'm doing well, still struggling with everything. I'm guessing New York City isn't treating you right," I spoke as she sighed on the other end. She never liked visiting family there because they were always critqiuing—well, that's what they call it, but I prefer to use the term 'judging someone just because they weren't rich'.

"Mother is driving me up the fucking wall here. You guys are so lucky you didn't grow up how we grew up because trust me, they're monsters. Oh yeah, Michael said 'hey' and asked how you were doing." I smiled in response as I felt a little less bad for what happened. Michael was always forgiving, but he had limits like any person did. It as nice that even after all these years he's still patient enough with our group.