Chapter 62.

CHAPTER 62: get it, girl!

vote and comment

The music started and I began my routine. I smiled to the crowd, moving my arms around in sharp moves whilst adding some of my own sass. Beth used to say I was one of fiercest girls on the team a few years back. No point in disappointing her now. I wound my hand through my ponytail as I strutted a few steps to the right. Now, it's the jumps and I can't mess this up. Most of my cheer knowledge came back to me when I started practising again so I should be fine with this.

I performed a pike, followed by a toe touch and followed by another toe touch. The first round was always based on energy and sass. People with more sass and confidence move onto the second round and people who've never attempted cheer before but did gymnastics or dance were less likely to move onto the next round unless they had sass.

I performed a cartwheel followed by a roundoff back handspring. Landing on two feet, I raised my hands to the crowd and smiled. People cheered and clapped as I continued my routine. Bethany always told me to smile to the audience. Always smile. She taught me the majority of my tricks and even taught me some moves I never knew I could even do.

The other students on the bleachers were cheering me on as I swung my hips around and moved them from side to side. I could hear my friends cheering and my eyes glided up to them in the audience. Giving them a small smirk, I winked, lifting my leg up for a heel stretch before tugging my leg closer to me and moving my arm in front for the bow and arrow.

"Go, Brielle! You got it, girl!" I heard Cassidy shout as the others cheered loudly. My confidence rose through my performance and I completely forgot Owen and Ivy were even here, to be honest. I was having the time of my life to even notice or care and I missed it. I missed feeling so happy and getting away from my problems by doing what I loved to do.

My last trick was the scorpion and I looked to the crowd, tugging my leg higher as for the finale, I sunk to the ground, one leg out on the side as I propped myself up on the other before raising my arms in the air with a smile. My chest was heaving up and down heavily as I bowed for the audience and headed back to my seat. The coach had a bright smile on her face, probably happy that I was getting back into cheer again.

"You were amazing out there," Isabelle told me as I drank down some of my water. Now I didn't have to worry about anything for now. Ivy performed after me and I didn't know if it was because she hadn't done gymnastics for years or if getting kicked off the previous cheer squad caused her to quit everything, but she certainly wasn't flexible. Some of her jumps were effortless, but it was her flexibility that let her down slightly.

As much as I didn't want her to be on the team for the sake of the others, flexibility wasn't really an obstacle to stop someone from getting on the team. You had to have experience with tumbling and at least be slightly flexible because it can be built up over time. Ivy's tricks are good so she might be through to the second round.

I didn't know whether I made the second round or not, but at least I tried. Ivy made herself look pretty for the majority of the routine. Me, Isabelle and Bridget spoke to each other whilst the results were being decided. The girls who didn't make the team would leave immediately so we could get on with the second round. I looked over at Kelly, Nicole and the others on the team as they spoke about each performance in a huddle.

"Right, guys, have we decided on who's moving onto the next round?" the coach exclaimed as Nicole's head snapped up, Kelly's following after. They both nodded and the clipboard was given to Nicole. She stood up from her seat, carrying the clipboard under one arm as she walked in front of all of us girls and gave a sense of superiority to us.