Chapter 65.

CHAPTER 65: momma knows best

vote and comment

I knew that as fucking terrified as I was of losing Brielle to some lunatic, she was still hurt regardless of what would happen to her. I was a dickhead and I damn well knew it, but she made me into a better man. She's the reason I never became like Liam and that's because she was my rock for a lot of the years that we grew up together.

It was Saturday morning and I was busy having breakfast when my brother walked in. I stood by the stove and cooked us some bacon before placing it on the plates on the table. By the expression on his face, I could tell he was rather sceptical of being in the same room as me and I understood why.

"Sit down," I mumbled before turning my back to him once more and getting some glasses from the cupboard and collecting the orange juice from the fridge, "you need to eat."

"Uh, thanks," he said as he sat himself in a chair and waited for me to sit down as well. I handed him a glass and poured some orange juice into it. We sat there in silence, eating the first few bits of our breakfast. Occasionally, I'd catch him glancing up at me before putting some egg or bacon in his mouth.

"We need to talk and I mean it this time." Jaxon nodded, his shoulders less tense as if he was waiting for me to say it, "we're brothers and we'll fight, but we have to make up. I'm in charge of your well-being and I can't let some petty fight get in the way of looking out for you so I'm sorry. I should've talked to her privately and broken up with her in a better way instead of dropping it on her like that, but you need to understand that this was between me and her—"

"...and Ivy," he said as I nodded quickly, rolling my eyes.

"...and Ivy, but that's not the point. You understand where I'm coming from, don't you?" he nodded, his brows furrowing together slightly as he sighed.

"Y-Yeah, of course. I was just angry because I told her to come round to our's and talk to you. She got hurt because I recommended that she come to our place just for you to break up with her. She was devastated, Owe. She loved you."

'She loved you'.

Every time someone said that, the pain only increased. God, why did I have to be such a fuck up? I groaned in frustration before shaking my head.

"That's why I'm trying to fix things. She doesn't deserve what I did to her and to be honest, she doesn't even deserve me in general, but I owe her an apology at least," I explained to Jaxon as he ate his food peacefully, stuffing some bacon into his mouth and chewing thoughtfully.

"Well, apologising is a good start, but then what? If you love her—and I know she loves you—you need to prove to her that you still do. It's going to take time for her to trust you and let's be honest, you're going to struggle because you don't go on your hands and knees to beg for just about anyone—"

"Thanks for reminding me," I grumbled under my breath as he shrugged in response. My brother's hair was messy and he looked as if he hasn't been sleeping properly. This gang war wasn't really helping any of us and because I'm always in school, the gang's at more of a risk. Most of my days are at school, occasionally skipping lessons I didn't want to be in and coming back later on. I won't hear the end of it from Malcolm at this rate; he just loves to ramble on about how much better it was if I was out of school.