Chapter 29.

CHAPTER 29: sacrificing my dignity

vote and comment

Letting go of my ego and pride was difficult for me and I think I speak for everyone on just how hard it is. I made my way into the school with my brother and Darren. The cafeteria was where most people could hang out without being assaulted or anything because then there would actually be a witness there at the time and it was usually the place my gang hung out so no one can suspect us of sketchy business.

Even outside the hall, I could already hear the familiar shouts of students and guys of the football team, whose chuckles were too obnoxious and loud for my liking. My brother went ahead and opened the door where we were greeted with people of different cliques together as it used to be.

Danny, the boy who could just about play any instrument given to him was talking to Martha, no. 1 goth of the school and also the one person you could go to if you wanted information on another student like their locker code. Before they wouldn't be seen dead together, but it seems the two have got something in common when it comes to the electric guitar.

Chelsea, not exactly the smartest girl in the school but from a rich family who were involved in architecture was talking to the son of an engineer and math whizz, Landon and it seemed they were discussing the design technology homework they were both given. They were originally in the same class and never spoke to each other because Landon was quiet and Chelsea was...well...she was the opposite.

I spotted Brielle in the distance, sat on the table as she talked to Cassidy and Kelly. They were all laughing and eating their lunches. Seeing the grin on her face, my chest tightens slightly. I wasn't expecting that, I thought. My brother pushed me forward slightly and only then did I realise I was staring, my jaw slack slightly.

"Go, you look stupid just stood there," he mumbled as he led me over to Brielle's table. She seemingly noticed me and her smile disappeared instantly. I could only gulp before giving her my best non-awkward smile, "hey, B how have you been?"

"I've been great, thanks," she spoke suspiciously, eyeing me up and down before turning to my brother, "what's going on?"

My brother turned to me as if signalling me to say something and even with the significant tightening of my throat, I coughed and spoke.

"Can I just talk to you?" I asked and when she turned to look at her friends, they simply shrugged and I sighed, "please, just one second."

Never in my life have I ever begged so this must be music to my brother's fucking ears. She pursed her lips before nodding, jumping off the table and smoothing down her skirt and following me to a deserted part of the cafeteria before heading outside to talk. Some people looked at us weirdly as if wondering what a guy like me was doing with a girl like her.

"I presume you wanted to talk about that incident back there where you turned into some kind of clingy monster," she giggled lightly, probably wanting to lighten the mood around us. I only combed a hand through my hair in embarrassment. Yeah, it wasn't really my finest moment, "it's fine. I actually thought it was pretty funny and I don't think I was the only one."

"Just don't remind me, god, I'm already mortified." she releases a chuckle before composing herself and placing a hand on mine and giving me a genuine smile.

"If you wanted to apologise, you could've just told me instead of grabbing me like that. You scared the shit out of me," she said softly and I looked down at her in awe. She really is pretty when she's consoling me, "this must've been difficult for you. Going in there and asking to talk to me alone."