Chapter 75.

CHAPTER 75: they would be proud

vote and comment

KIARA.

That afternoon, I watched and helped to patch everyone up of their injuries, something I remember doing when they were kids. Now that they were all independent, I didn't have much to do so for them to return hurt the way they did, I sped up the stairs for the medical kit.

"How's the arm?" I asked Owen as he settled in his office chair at his desk that late afternoon. I still can't believe after being slashed, he's still doing office work, "you shouldn't be working with your injury."

"Don't worry, I'll be fine," he said simply before trying to pick up the pen next to him, pressing some force into it before dropping it on the table again, wincing slightly, "maybe I'll just type it out instead."

"Typical, you're a lot more like your father than I expected." I stood up from the armchair and walked over to him, running a hand through his dark locks of hair, "come on, you've been through enough today and I'm sure Brielle wouldn't want you to be working right now. Aren't you tired?"

True as he is to my brother's son, he released a similar grunt Damien did when he wasn't allowed to do something before leaning back against his chair and sighing. As a man who's worked hard for the majority of his teen years, he deserved a break from time to time. I've also been quite hard on him so I suppose it was time for me to cut him some slack.

"Owen, your parents wouldn't want you to be doing work right now," I said softly as his eyes fluttered shut in comfort. It was bad enough he came home with blood all over his shirt from the wound on his arm, but with the added bruises upon his face as well as the bust lip he already had from before, I could only try to contain my hurt.

He was nineteen and grown up now. It simply wasn't my job to take care of him anymore, but I tried my hardest for the sake of my brother. It hurt me in general because he was family, but I would go stir crazy if he got seriously hurt, which probably explains why I cut him less slack than I did to his brother.

"How's Brielle? Is she okay?" he asked me, but I scoffed in response, knowing full well I just saw her pass the kitchen with some iced coffee and triple chocolate chip cookies she brought from her house. The familiar sound of her happily singing whilst skipping around told me that she was definitely fine.

"Have you seen her? She's having the time of her life," I said, rolling my eyes as I began to sort through his papers swiftly with a small smile on my face. Personally, I knew why she was extremely happy and that was because she was no longer in danger. Her or Owen—or even Summer View, "come on, Owen. You need to relax and take a break. After all, a psycho lunged at you with a blade just three hours ago."

A sudden bark made them snap their head towards the office door where Jasmine sat, tongue poking out and tail wagging excitedly. She spun around in her place before trotting into the room and towards me where she placed a paw against my foot. The dog mirrored the same smile on my face as I lifted her up in my arms and snuggled her closer to me.

"Why do you treat her with more respect than me?" Owen muttered behind me before I turned to give him a deathly glare as his dog squirmed in my arms.

"Because unlike you, she listens. You may be the leader, but I'm still your aunt," I snapped as I placed Jasmine in his lap. She immediately curled herself up and pressed her nose into his hand, indicating she wanted to be stroked. Owen slowly ran his hand over her fur as I saw her little doe eyes flutter shut, "and anyway, you know I don't mean to treat you like your a kid even though you're not. Me and your uncle had a responsibility and we didn't care what we did as long as we fulfilled my brother's wishes."