Chapter 48.

CHAPTER 48: a gang war to remember

[double update vibes😚✌️]

vote and comment

I worked in Alfonso's office that day, looking at anything that could lead us to my mother's whereabouts

I worked in Alfonso's office that day, looking at anything that could lead us to my mother's whereabouts. All I could think about is how scared she must've been and how I wasn't here to help her. Apart from the throbbing headache I had, I seemed to be troop through the work quickly.

I perked up at the voices outside the door. There were two gang members outside the door to keep an eye on me. Yeah, Owen couldn't risk me getting kidnapped as well apparently. He ensured that I was always guarded during the day and when night came, Jaxon and Darren watched over me, which in a sense, might not be the best combination of people.

"You might end up working yourself to death." I looked up and saw Alfonso stood at the door, hands deep in his pockets as he smoked a cigarette. I remember Kiara going on to him about how smoking was bad for him, but it seemed he's taking his chances of her not being around to do the dirty deed. Giving him a smile, I placed the papers back in the folder, "you're like my nephew-in-law. Always working hard and maybe sometimes too hard."

Owen did work hard. He always did. A guy like him was smart, a quick thinker and also quick on his feet in physical activities. It was hardly surprising he did well in school in every aspect and it was only because of his reputation that landed him in the bottom few.

"I can't really rest until I find something. Anything," I said, my voice quiet as I picked up another piece of paper and scanned it quickly. The spies did a lot, but there wasn't a single thing about my mother in these notes. I just wanted to know if she was okay. To hear her voice and for her to tell me there's nothing wrong and that it'll all work out, but the world isn't like that. It's cruel and unfortunate.

"You know, child, I said this to Owen when he was younger and he was overworking himself with his boxing. I told him 'you can't improve and you can't learn when you don't have a clear head. So take a break and relax and then you can think clearly'. I'm sure he'll understand that you need to relax and if you get into trouble, just say I told you to take a break," he whispered when he said that before a deep chuckle erupted from him. He walked out of the room, not a single glance back at me. Alfonso sure is made of classic dad material. Good humour, sternness and protectiveness. Coco was lucky to have him as a dad.

I decided he was right. I'll just get back to this work later, but right now, I needed a break and a snack. It was already past lunch time in which I barely ate any of the food brought to me due to the distraction of about a million sheets of paper in front of me.

When I walked into the kitchen, Coco was there on the phone. She waved at me before groaning in annoyance and hitting her head lightly against the wall. I recognised that she was on the phone with her mother so I decided to stay quiet and grab an apple on the side.