Chapter 24. (part 1)

CHAPTER 24: a throwback to '16

vote and comment

(Flashback to a celebration in 2016 a day before the big fire)

I was dressed in my cheerleading uniform and I blew a bubble with my gum. Nicole was stood next to me with Kelly, who was on her phone. The sun shone through the huge windows all across the side of the school as people passed through with their books and folders.

Bethany was walking with her friends...

...and was followed by some of the guys on the football team. She's a beautiful girl with dark hair and hazel eyes. Her lips were covered in a layer of red lipstick and her cheer uniform clung to her tightly. I can see why every guy loved her. She's kind and cares about other people, unlike that sister of her's, who followed behind her because her friends just loved her so much.

"Hey, Brielle, just to let you know, Aubrey's leaving this afternoon and won't be able to perform later today so do you mind filling in for her? I'll make sure you know her part in the routine," Bethany spoke, a smile on her face. I nodded and she walked off with her friends.

"Are you guys coming to the party tonight?" asked Nicole and I looked at her with confusion. I arched my eyebrow at her as she just shrugged, "what? Just because we haven't won yet doesn't mean we can't plan a party or go to our victory one."

"I mean, we haven't exactly lost a game this season yet so I guess it wouldn't hurt to confident," I said as we headed to the bleachers for cheer practice. As we walked through the doors to the bleachers, some other people from the cheer team were already there. To them, we were like the underdogs. We had only entered the hierarchy of high school this year, but nobody dared to mess with me all because of Bethany. I was like a sister to her so she was like my guardian angel.

Owen and his gang were there and he came up to me with a smile on his face. He didn't wear his leather jacket this time and was instead in his red blazer. His hair was recently cut and he had it jelled back.

"B, are you going to the party tonight after we crush Calston's asses?" he exclaimed, his arm landing on my shoulders. I chuckled lightly before pushing him away, rolling my eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, I am. Don't worry your pretty little socks. My dad's out all night obviously and mom's gone away for a few days so I can stay as long as I want tonight." Owen looked down at me and beamed.

"Great, I'll give you a lift there as well if you like. Meet me at the school entrance." I nodded as he headed off with his brother into the school. Every girl would die if they were in my position. They loved Owen and were jealous of me. Why? It's not even like I'm Queen Bee. I'm not like that. People love me, but I knew secretly that they didn't admire how close I was with Owen. He was one of the only people who supported me during my breakup with Jordan. He was the one who told me life was too short to keep crying about this stuff. I mean, he's a thrill seeker so I'm not surprised he said that.

As I headed to the area where the rest of the group was Miranda walked past and bumped into me. I fell back slightly before looking at her with shock. She only rolled her eyes and glared at me.

"God, watch where you're going," she snapped before walking past, her curls bouncing up and down in the process. Miranda was a completely different person to her sister Bethany and loathed her due to always living in her shadow. Whenever someone mentioned her achievement, they always manage to turn it back to her older sister.