Chapter 25. (part 2)

CHAPTER 25: time to party

vote and comment

Let me just say that the place was bustling with teenagers. Students still dressed in their uniforms or gym kit were mixed with people who changed before they got here. Owen kept a strong grip on my hand as we headed into the huge dining hall that Bethany's family owned. We weaved through people, most of them taller than me, of course. I wasn't wearing heels so everyone seemed to tower over me more than usual. There weren't that many seniors there because they were in the main building of the house.

"Come on, we better go find the others," he exclaimed over the loud music. Soon, we were at the very front of the stage where Beth stood, still dressed in her cheer uniform. Most of the basketball team and cheer team were surrounding around the stage, most of the lights on them.

"Hey, there they are!" Kelly called out loudly. Everyone turned to where she was pointing and soon, a lot of eyes were on us. A few knowing looks landed on us as well and all I could do was shrink behind Owen, "Jaxon's been looking for you. He said you and Brielle were up to some hanky-panky if you know what I mean."

The more she spoke, the more I shrunk back with embarrassment. She's obviously had too much to drink and it's only the beginning of the night. I watched her walk around in a state of giddiness as Owen pulled us over to his brother, who had Nicole upon his shoulders. She had a lollipop in her mouth and she held securely onto his shoulders.

"Bro, where have you been? The party started an hour ago," he shouted over the music and I heard Owen chuckle lightly before I suddenly get pulled away from him. I turned around to see Beth, who looked at me with a knowing look.

Unlike before, Beth had her hair down in loose curls now. She was still in her cheer outfit, but even then, she attracted a lot of attention from girls who were jealous of her and from boys who were drooling over her.

"So...hanky-panky, huh? What's that all about?" she asked and I only smiled before shrugging.

"Oh, I think he's joking," I said. She took a swig at her drink before smiling. Her arm went around me as she guided me towards the other girls, "is your sister here, by any chance?"

"No, well, I don't know. Knowing her, she could be anywhere as long as she's got her tongue shoved down a guy's throat," Beth grumbled as my head snapped up to look at her. I get that she doesn't have the best relationship with her sister, but she never talked about like that. Whatever happened, it must've ticked her off so much, "oh, don't worry about it. She just started lashing out at me. It's nothing new and I guess I just snapped."

"Does she ever stop?" I muttered as her Beth just snickered, shaking her head. She brought her other arm around me, giving me a hug. I hugged her back and smiled.

"Awe, why can't you be my little sister instead?" my giggle was muffled against her top as she squeezed me tightly. Oh god, these hugs are tight enough that it can stop the blood circulation in five minutes, I thought, "are you going to sing, tonight? I think Owen wants to hear you sing."

I shrugged casually before sighing. In the distance, Owen was stood there with his friends. He had a drink in his hand. It was strange though. Everyone was separated so that he was in my eye view, his eyes on mine the whole time as every so often, he took a sip from his cup.  

"I'm not sure. Probably. I promised Nicole I would anyway," I told her as she nodded. My eyes never left Owen and soon, he finished up his drink before excusing himself from the group to make his way towards me. Bethany seemed to notice as well and winked at me, giving my shoulder a squeeze before heading off.