Chapter 68.

CHAPTER 68: ocean eyes

vote and comment

Owen hasn't bothered me since that time I slapped him, but the world doesn't automatically stop as soon as we break up

Owen hasn't bothered me since that time I slapped him, but the world doesn't automatically stop as soon as we break up. I still did tutoring with Jaxon, but most of our lessons were in school during free periods or lunch and even after school. He wanted to make sure I felt comfortable and he knew if I was around Owen, I wouldn't be comfortable.

Me and mom still stayed in the gang compound just until this war was over. I had collected my things and headed over to the Bowers' house. Walking up the steps, I could hear music blasting from Jaxon's room indicating he was home. 

My knuckle banged itself upon the door a few times before I waited for someone to open it. I turned to face the street where barely anyone was out because after all, it was quite cold out and I had wrapped myself in a warm coat and scarf.

The door swung open and I twisted round to see Owen stood there, a surprised look on his face. Oh, it just had to be him to answer, I thought. He was wearing sweats and a shirt, his hair messy probably due to waking up just a few moments ago.

"Uh, hey, what're you doing here?" he asked, his voice rough like sandpaper and I pointed to my textbooks with a small smile.

"Jaxon's tutoring lessons? He told I was coming over, right? It's fine, I'll just stay out of your way—" I've got to stop relying on Jaxon to tell Owen anything.

"No, it's fine. Come in, you must be cold—Kiara, Jaxon, Brielle's here!" he shouted, helping me get my coat off, his touch lingered on my skin causing goosebumps to rise and shivers to rub down my spine. His hands are surprisingly cold, I thought.

He led me through into the kitchen where I placed the stuff down upon the kitchen island. Owen headed back to his laptop where he was working and took a sip from his mug of coffee. I know it's coffee because he doesn't like tea unless it's Kiara's honey and lemon blend.

I settled on a stool and opened up my notebook where I decided to finish my notes before Jaxon came down. Owen was sat all the way on the other side finishing his hot beverage and completing some work on the laptop that he and Jaxon shared.

Occasionally, when I looked up, I noticed him rubbing his cheek and something inside my head clicked. Wait, that's the cheek I slapped him on. Don't tell me it still hurts because it's been over a week. I mean, I did slap him pretty hard.

Sighing, I had given up completely on my notes as the guilt of slapping the utter shit out of Owen had distracted me for good. I tapped my pen upon the table a few times before I heard a woman's voice along with a dog's woofing.