Then just leave//Sweet Pea

Warnings: volatile relationship, swearing

Your bed had never felt larger or colder than it did tonight. The yellow glow of the streetlights stream into your bedroom through the cracks between your curtains, lighting up the room and exposing its emptiness. The silence seemed to taunt you. There was no quiet snoring from the spot beside you on your bed, instead there was untouched blankets. You hadn’t moved them when you slipped under the covers, you didn’t want to touch his side of the bed. That’s what it had become over the past year, his side. For months your mom tried to stop him from sleeping over, grounding you countless times before realizing it was a futile fight. You were too stubborn, if you wanted him with you in bed at night you would find a way to sneak him in.

Perhaps that’s why the bed beside you sits empty now. You’re too stubborn. That and a million other reasons that made the relationship doomed from the start. The two of you fought like the world would end if you agreed to disagree over things so minuscule neither of you could even justify why you were fighting about it. You were arguing simply for arguments sake. It wasn’t right, you knew that. You would bring up the smallest things with the intentions of things blowing up much bigger than they needed to. But then all that anger would spill over into the bedroom, or the backseat of your car, or anywhere you two could get some time alone and you would forget all about what you were fighting about, because it never even really mattered in the first place. But you needed to fight, because you needed that high, of emotions so out of control your heart felt like it would beat out of your chest, skin burning in anger, veins feeling like they might explode with frustration. It was your fault, you were always the catalyst. But Sweet Pea was hot-headed, he wasn’t good at letting things go. So, when you wanted to argue, he was right there, just as ready for it.

Whatever this last one was about, you couldn’t remember. The starting point was a mystery, but it didn’t matter, the beginning never mattered. What mattered this time was that it didn’t end with you wrapped in Sweet Pea’s arms, sweaty bodies pressed together whispering quiet ‘I love you’s to each other. This time it ended with you standing alone, back pressed against your closed front door in a silent house with tears blurring your vision. You were the one who said it and how badly you wished you hadn’t now.

“God, I hate you.”

“Why am I even here? This is so fucking stupid.”

“Then just leave.”

“Maybe I will.”

“Good. But you’re not coming back. Because we’re done, this is over.”

You had said it so coldly, not an ounce of emotion in your voice. You knew there was no going back. Once you threatened that, the end, you could never take that back. There were a lot of words that could be taken back, but the acknowledgment that you had thought, even for a split second, about the possibility of your life being better without the other. You couldn’t take that back.

Rolling onto your side you pick up your phone from where it was sitting on your bedside table, opening your contacts and scrolling through it, till you find his contact. Sweet Pea. You click on it, his information filling your screen, the picture you had set for his contact when the two of you first started dating sitting prominently at the top of the screen. The two hearts beside his name made your own heart shatter just a little bit more. Laying there you stare at that information until your eyelids are so heavy you can’t keep them open any longer. The phone slips out of your hand, landing beside you on your bed where it eventually auto locks long after you’ve fallen asleep. You’re fast asleep the next time your screen lights up with a notification.

‘I’m sure you’re asleep but please call me when you wake up’

‘I want to talk about what happened’