Hungover//Reggie Mantle

It’d had been one hell of a night. Last night had been Josie’s birthday and she decided she wanted to go clubbing. Initially, you had said that you weren’t going to drink, but Veronica had convinced you to take a shot and soon that one shot had turned into around six maybe- you stopped counting after four.

You don’t drink all that often, so it was no doubt that the next day you would be completely hungover. And indeed, you were. You found yourself on the floor of Veronica’s room with a huge headache and quite a sore stomach.  You got up to use the restroom, tiptoeing around Ronnie’s sleeping form.

When you reached the bathroom, you looked in the mirror and gasped at your appearance. Your makeup was smudged and your curled hair was all over the place. You rubbed some warm water on your face to clean up the makeup and borrowed Ronnie’s hairbrush to fix up the bird’s nest on top of your head.

After using the restroom, you returned to Veronica’s bedroom and changed out of the little black dress you had worn to the club the night before. You got some leggings and an oversized sweatshirt out of Veronica’s closet and put it on; you were sure she wouldn’t care that you borrowed some clothes. You were shocked she even owned such clothes. Veronica wouldn’t be caught dead in anything but designer. The girl even went to bed with a pearl necklace on. Before leaving her apartment, you left a note on the dresser saying that you had a great night and would text her when you got home.

Walking down the street, you stopped at a small coffee shop hoping that a warm cup of coffee would solve your headache. The coffee shop was small and quiet with only two other people at a booth both on their laptops. You walked up to the counter and placed your order, which was simple just medium cup of coffee with almond milk and two scoops of sugar. While waiting for your cup, you heard a ring meaning someone had opened the door.

The barista set down your drink and stated that your total was 3.50. You reached down to where your pockets should be, seeing that you were wearing leggings and had no pockets, and patted groaning. You had left your wallet and your phone at Veronica’s in your clutch.

“I am so sorry, I seemed to have forgotten my wallet at home. Can I come back in like ten minutes and pay after I’ve gone home?” You asked the unconvinced barista.

“I’ll pay for her drink” You heard a deep voice from behind you and you turned around to see Reggie.

“Thank you so much,” You say stepping to the side as Reggie stepped forward to hand the man the money, “I’ll pay you back I promise.”

He shrugged at your response, “You don’t have too. It seems like you’ve had a rough morning.”

You blushed a little and looked down, “At least let me buy your coffee next time.” You looked back up to see Reggie smirking.

“How about you pay me back with your phone number?” He said in a smug voice. You let out a nervous giggle and looked back up at him.

“Sure, Mantle” You reached for the pen laying on the counter and scribbled your number on his hand. You put the pen back and grabbed your coffee instead, Reggie’s eyes following your every move.

“I hope you’ll put that to good use.” You say nodding toward your phone number while slowly heading out of the coffee shop.

“You can bet on it,” Reggie said with a smirk, looking shocked that the pickup line had worked. He had a sly grin on his face as he turned around to order his coffee.