Chapter 30

Louis was grinding a trench into the hospital floor. He'd been pacing for hours now, waiting for news. Liam and Zayn were huddled together. Zayn was gripping Liam's hand. Niall sat in a ball in chair with his head against his knees.

He's okay. He'll be okay. He has to be okay. Louis pushed his hands into his eyes. I haven't even told him I love him.

"Liam Payne?" they heard called from the front desk.

Liam and Louis ran to the woman. "Yes? That's me," Liam answered.

"Do you know the number for," the nurse looked down at the paperwork Liam had filled out while Louis was balling, "Harry's parents?"

Liam looked to Louis then back to the woman. "I don't actually."

"Alright that's fine, we'll get it. Thank you."

"Wait. I, um, I have Uncle Ben's number from the fridge," Louis remembered.

"That would be perfect."

Louis gave the woman the number and waited while she called.

"Yes, hi. This is Helena calling from the county hospital. Are you related to a Mr. Harry Styles?" Louis heard a voice raise on the other end. "We have him here under going some tests. But, sir, I need to get ahold of his parents." She got the numbers she needed and hung up.

"You boys can have a seat. Thank you."

Louis wanted to climb over the cheap plastic desk and tackle the fucking nurse that was just doing her job.

"Can you tell us anything?" Louis pleaded.

"I can't. I'm sorry. The doctor will be out to speak with his parents as soon as they arrive."

"So we can't know anything because we're not related?" Louis' voice was rising.

Liam put a hand on his shoulder. "Thank you, ma'am," he said to the nurse and pulled Louis with him to the seats.

"It's not fucking fair. I can't do this! I need to see him."

"I know." Liam hugged Louis. "Soon. We won't leave until you get to see him okay?"

Louis nodded into Liam's shirt. "I don't know what happened. He was fine yesterday. And now he's here. And I swear I saw blood in the toilet. And I don't know-"

"Lou, calm down. Harry will be fine."

***

"Where's my son?" a high-pitched voice shouted a few feet away at the check-in desk.

The boys were still waiting in their chairs. It'd been another couple of hours. Louis recognized the famous face as a senator from their state and knew it had to be Harry's mom.

"Ma'am calm down. What's the name?"

"Harry, um, Harry Styles. Please, I got a call he was here. What's going on?"

"Yes ma'am your son is here," the woman turned and motioned for a nurse to come over, "This is Sam. She'll take you to your son."

The nurse led the woman, and a man that had been silent but had a hand on the woman's back, down the hall away from Louis.

"Those are Harry's parents?" Niall asked.

"I guess so," Liam answered.

"They're intimidating. Did you see them? Suits and shit," Zayn commented.

"I know, right? No wonder Harry's such a straight-laced kid," Niall offered.

"I have to know what's going on," Louis said and stood up.

Liam grabbed his wrist. "Wait. You can't just go in there."

"Watch me," Louis said and yanked his hand away.

He walked quickly following the nurse and Harry's parents down the hall. They kept going around the corner and a few doors down.

The nurse motioned for them to go in ahead of her and she followed. Louis waited until they were inside and went to put his ear against the door.

"Mr. and Mrs. Twist, your son had an ulcer on his stomach lining that ruptured this morning," Louis heard a man's voice, must be the doctor, "It was fairly large. It was bleeding into his stomach. We were told that he was fine last night and woke up this morning feeling ill. We did a few non-invasive tests and found what we call a silent ulcer. It's unnoticeable. It's fine, until it isn't."

"What now?" Robin asked.

"We took him for surgery. We couldn't wait. We stopped the bleeding and removed what was left of the ulcer. He's stable but in a medicated coma. We want to keep him unconscious at least for a day or so to keep his stress levels low during this crucial time."

"Is he going to be okay?" Anne asked.

"He did very well in the surgery. But he'll have a bit of a recovery time. Pain medication. Things like that."

"But in the long run, he'll be fine," Robin demanded.

"Yes, sir, I believe so."

Anne was sniffling now. Trying not to cry.

"Madame Senator, your son is in good hands. His recovery will be swift. I promise."

The door opened and Louis quickly turned away and started walking slowly down the hall.

He found the other still huddled together. Niall jolted upright in his seat when he saw Louis. "And?" he said.

"He had an ulcer in his stomach that ruptured," Louis inhaled shallowly, "They took him for surgery and he's stable." Louis collapsed into the chair. The others looked visibly relieved. "I didn't even get to see him."

They heard sobs and looked up to see Robin and Anne in another corner of the waiting room.

"Go see him," Liam whispered resolutely.

"What?"

"Now, before his parents go back in there," Liam explained.

"I can't. I'm not family."

"His parents are over there. Everyone else is letting him rest, I'm guessing. If you want to see him anytime soon, now is it."

Louis tried to see if Liam was serious. When he saw he was he nodded. Louis got up and walked as nonchalantly as he could back down the hall to Harry's room.

The door was cracked already so Louis peaked in. It was empty except for the still boy on the bed. Louis slipped inside and shut the door.