Chapter 48

Louis couldn't bring himself to move at more than a snail's pace after class, but Harry shot out the door. Louis couldn't help but watch him leave, curls bouncing a little against his neck.

Liam picked Louis' stuff up with his and put a hand on his back. "Drive you home?"

"No. I have to go to talk to the Dean about something. I'll just, I don't know, catch the bus." Louis hadn't ridden the bus seen he was fifteen and carless, but today he didn't really feel like being around anyone he knew anyway.

"I'll just wait for you."

"Liam," Louis pleaded seriously, "Please leave. I'll be fine."

Liam had a small internal debate before nodding reluctantly and leaving Louis' stuff on the table. He gave Zayn a kiss and whispered that he'd see him after work.

Louis tried not to hate them for their love. Tried and failed. Liam gave Louis one more sad glance and left. Zayn gathered up his stuff and followed soon after.

Niall was slowly putting his stuff away and giving Louis curious looks ever couple of seconds.

"Yes, Niall?" Louis said exasperatedly.

"I don't know what's going on. But I just want you to know that I'm here."

Louis allowed himself a moment of peace that he still had people that loved him, even if...Louis couldn't think his name...didn't.

"Thank you," was all he could get out. Niall smiled understandingly and left Louis as the last one in the room.

Louis ran his hand through his hair and collected himself as best he could so I could go beg a man, that was controlling the person he loved, to take pity on him.

Louis picked up his books and walked out of the class. The halls were filled with people that he didn't know and didn't care about. Some that he did know took one look at his cuts, bruises, red eyes, disheveled appearance and kept walking.

He walked into the Dean's lobby and shut the door behind him. The door to the Dean's office sat on the far wall. He found that the secretary put up a sign saying back in ten minutes. He set his books down on the desk, wondering why she'd be taking a break in the middle of the afternoon on a busy school day but then he heard shouting coming from behind the Dean's door.

"I did this because you made me!"

Harry's voice? What was Harry doing in the Dean's office? Why was he yelling at the Dean?

"And you've made the right decision, Harry. Trust me."

"No! I feel like," his voice stopped abruptly and then Louis heard Harry crying. "I hate myself! I love him! And you ruined that!"

"Love? Harry you don't love him."

"Fuck you! I can't do this. You should see him. He actually thinks that I don't love him! I broke him, Dean! I broke us," the last part was much quieter and made Louis come closer to the door to hear.

"This is temporary, son. Now that you've broken it off, I can allow you both to graduate. You'll grow up, have a rewarding career, and find a wife to have a family with. And you'll forget all about that boy."

"You're deluded if you think that breaking up with him will make me forget him. I'll grow up, get married, have kids, hate myself, and still remember him."

"Harry you're being dramatic. You should be happy that I won't have to tell your parent about your indiscretions. And you're going to graduate from a prestigious university with the promise of a well-paying career."