Chapter Five

London N

London N.

I sat on top of a furry lavender blanket on Nanny's porch with a cup of freshly brewed hazelnut coffee enjoying the beautiful pink and orange skies, it was six-thirty in the morning and the block was quiet and empty.

"You mind if I smoke?" Rambo came out still in his flannel pajamas and slippers holding up a cigarette.

"Go right ahead"

He sat in a chair positioned in the back corner of the porch lighting the cigarette,I turned my attention back to the sunrise.

"You usually up dis early?"

"No, I couldn't sleep" I picked at the blanket, my mind was running rampant about what my next moves would be.

" You need anything? I told you I gotchu"

Rambo had been the second man in Crenshaw that actually meant what he said, the first was Nipsey.

"I don't want to be a free loader, the only way I can come up on some money is to pawn my clothes"

"Is dat something you want to do? " I nodded, it was nice my Nanny and Rambo were so open to letting me stay with them but I couldn't stay forever.

"It's a shop like 3 minutes away dat open up at 8, I can take you up there if you want?"

"If you don't mind"

Rambo flicked the ashes from his cigarette nodding,I hated to have to part ways with things I had worked hard to get but I was in dire need of money to keep my head above water.

"You gonna need clothes though so whatchu gonna do about dat?"

"Once I get my money, I'll get some from The Marathon"

The other night when Nipsey voiced that the community rather spend thousands on companies that were blatantly racist instead supporting black owned businesses because they were "too expensive" it made me realize that was something I needed to change.

"You ain't slick" Rambo smashed the cigarette into the ashtray on the black crate beside his chair.

"What you mean?"

"You wanna go there to not only get clothes, you tryna see dat skinny nigga Nip"

Again Rambo had read me like I was an open book, I hadn't seen him in 24 hours and his presence was definitely missed.