Chapter 28: Atalanta

(Y/n) = Your name

(S/c) = Skin color

(H/c) = Hair color

(F/c) = Favorite color

(N/n) = Nickname

Third Person P.O.V

Somewhere near the bay east of the capital of Mistral, Cara and Maka slowly walked up to the edge of the cliff that looked over the bay to see the largest island in the bay in front of them. It was the location of one of the entrances into the Garden. There was a smile on Cara's face before she began coughing violently causing Maka to rush over to see if she was fine. Cara hasn't been feeling well as she looked more sickly with each passing day. Strange cracks were beginning to appear on her body with some parts of her body began to crumble away and fade away in specks of golden light.

Cara gently pushed Maka away as she pointed down the cliff towards the forest below. Maka's eyes widen when she saw the forest of large sequoia trees. Cara glanced over to Maka and smiled a bit.

Cara: "They really got big since I was little... Now, its time for the last story before we get to mine... it was here. This is the place." she announced.

Maka: "What do you mean?" she asked.

Cara: "This was where we met the girl that charged (Y/n) and my life. When we met our beloved Atalanta, the girl that never betrayed us." she revealed as she began walking down a path on the side of the cliff. 

Maka followed behind her looking around and was shocked by how quiet and peaceful the forest was when they arrived at the bottom of the cliff. As Maka looked around, she noticed that Cara was walking through the forest as if she was following a path that didn't exist.

Maka: "Cara? You alright?" she asked.

Cara: "Yeah... it feels nice walking down an old path that doesn't exist anymore." she stated.

Maka: "Doesn't exist? Just how old are you guys? From the stories, you told me, you two have been around for hundreds of years." she pointed out.

Cara burst out into laughter when she said this before having to stop when she began coughing violently. 

Cara: "Hundreds of years? More like thousands for me, (N/n) on the other hand is probably a lot older." she told her.

Maka's mouth dropped hearing what Cara said as she quickly increases her pace to catch up with Cara. She walked up right next to her as Cara suddenly stopped making Maka stumble a bit.

Cara: "Here... this was where we met her." she told Maka.

Maka: "Who exactly is Atalanta?" she asked.

Cara: "Atalanta... was the first person we cared about after (N/n) and I became one. It was a dark time for us before we met her. We were still getting used to being fused together. I didn't have a body anymore and (N/n) suddenly had a human body. He hated how small he had become compared to when he's in the Garden. But that wasn't why it was a dark time for us. The reason we had such a hard time was that neither of us trusted humans and Faunus reminded us so much of humans that we were scared of them too." she revealed.

Maka: "Wait, you two were scared of humans and Faunus?" she asked in disbelief.

Cara: "Never said that we still weren't. Humans... are a dangerous bunch and if they didn't know or understand something, they'll do stupid things." she said as she lifted her hand up to her eyepatch.