8

*first person*

That evening, when I went home, I noticed a familiar face crossing the street.
"Oh no." I tried to hide my face.
"Who is it? Isaac?" Amira looked around.
"Keep your eyes on the road, Amira. And no. It's not Isaac. Just please get us home. As quickly as possible." I begged and she nodded, driving faster. When we finally got to the compound, I unbuckled Izzy as Amira unbuckled Hope and went in search of my brothers. "Would it have been so hard for one of you to warn me Tristan was in town?" I asked, finding them.
"Hello sister." Elijah said.
"Neither of you thought to mention his presence in this city?"
"It's quite the tale, if you'd like to hear it."
"Does he know I'm here?"
"I haven't mentioned it, but he seems to know what goes on in this town."
"That's who you saw?" Amira asked.
"Yes." She turned to Nik.
"Aurora wouldn't happen to be in town, would she?"
"How do you know Aurora?" Elijah frowned.
"She's the one who turned me. I was looking for grandma and following a lead. Aurora thought she was Rebekah, and when she found out who I was, thought it best to turn me."
"Aurora isn't here. At least not to my knowledge. So far it seems to be Lucien and Tristan."
"Why are they here?"
"Tristan claims that Lucien has a weapon powerful enough to take out an original. And Lucien was the one to inform us of the prophecy."
"Get your mini-mes out of town."
"You don't want to say hi to your dear friend Tristan?" Nik teased.
"What's the deal between you and Tristan?"
"He had something of a crush on your grandmother." Elijah told her amused.
"But she never quite reciprocated his feelings. Too taken with your grandfather still."
"It was barely half a year since we'd begun to run. And he was an entitled asshole."
"Juicy. Tell me more." Amira smirked.
"Tristan thought the best way to receive her affections were displays of aggression against any who looked at him wrong." Elijah continued. "Or her."
"I want to meet Tristan again. This time as himself."
"Amira, no."
"Why not?"
"Because he's a violent, ruthless ass."
"I thought he was supposed to be Elijah's mini-me? Oh wait."
"Ouch." Klaus remarked.
"Let me make something clear." Amira looked between my brothers. "I will not be used as a bargaining chip. You want me to forgive you? Don't blackmail uncle Nik into doing your dirty work. And you- you do not even consider accepting the deal. Understand?"
"What-?"
"I'm a vampire. I have vampire hearing. Idiots."
"Oh." Elijah said.
"I'm missing something." I looked between the three of them. "What is it?" Izzy wriggled and disappeared.
"How does that work?" Elijah pointed at my now empty arms.
"Elijah told uncle Nik he'd forgive him if uncle Nik got me to forgive Elijah."
"Elijah, if you want Amira to forgive you, you have to do it yourself. She's been searching for us for a thousand years, and you hurt her."
"You're right. It was wrong of me, Amira."
"I gotta go get ready."
"For what?"
"Since Freya and I didn't get to go out together the other night, we're making up for it tonight."
"So are we to expect fraternity boys back home with the two of you?"
"I don't bring food home." She said, handing me a sleeping Hope and walked away.
"Okay, the two of you- make up already. I have something to attend to."
"And that something is..?"
"None of your concern." I said. "Someone check on Esther. Give her some food. We're not trying to starve her to death."
"We aren't?" Nik sounded confused.
"No, Nik. We're not." I sighed. "I'll see you guys later or tomorrow." I walked to the children's nursery, putting Hope in her cot. Once I made sure she was okay, I disappeared, to find Aeliana.
"You came back." She smiled, sounding surprised.
"No matter what, you're still my family. Mal not back yet?"
"No."
"Don't look so worried, Lia. I really believe things are different."
"I know when you look at him, you see the boy he once was, but the things he's done have been unforgivable, Zee. I mean, Amity."
"It is rather unfair of me to insist you call me Amity, isn't it?" She shrugged. "Call me whatever you feel comfortable calling me. Either way, I'm still me."
"Thank you."
"And as for Mal." I closed my eyes focusing on finding him and began to whistle, imagining it finding him, calling to him. He materialised before us within a matter of seconds.
"Ouch." He said. "Can't we just exchange numbers like normal people?"
"We could." I shrugged.
"What's up?" He asked.
"Lia was worried about you."
"More like worried about the city." She corrected.
"I'm not doing anything wrong." He vowed.
"You probably are, Mal. Just promise not to go overboard."
"You aren't seriously gonna just let it go at that?" Aeliana scoffed.
"Yeah, I am."
"He's spent millennia causing war and strife- not just mischief. He's preyed on the weak, he's never done anything that didn't benefit him. He's as evil as they come, and you're giving him a free pass. He's not our little brother anymore. Hasn't been for a very long time." She glared, before disappearing. I glanced over at Mal who was looking down.
"She's right." He said. "My entire life has been about causing chaos."
"Yeah, well. I believe in you, Mal. I always have and I always will. I'm not saying Lia is not within her right to be angry, because she is. She's suffered by your hand and it'll take time, but I believe in you. Okay? So don't do anything rash."