50

"I go away for two days, and I find that not only have you lost the last of the white oak, but Aurora got her hands on it and the Strix witches have found a way to de-sire us from the rest of the vampires?" Amity scoffed. "Two days!"
"Yes, yes, we're incompetent without you, now if you've quite finished reprimanding us, perhaps we could focus on the concern at hand." Klaus sighed.
"Well, the good news is they cannot de-sire us without access to us, so we just need to avoid being captured by the Strix."
"Another thing," He added. "While we're getting everything out in the open, it was Davina who came with the spell to de-sire us."
"And how did she come to figure it out?"
"Last year, she was studying the spell."
"She couldn't have come to that conclusion on her own." Amity frowned and closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. Her eyes snapped open, furious. "Kol."
"How?"
"A hand of glory." Mal said, appearing out of thin air.
"It's possible to contact others in the spirit realms. Now the spell I used to use to contact the other side, with a little tweak, would work just as well on the ancestor's realm."
"Did work..." Freya corrected. ".. just as well. It's the spell I used to contact Céleste, right?"
"Exactly."
"But Davina didn't have access to that spell."
"It's a thousand years old. And the grimoire I gave her were full of small spells. Nothing huge."
"The Strix would certainly have access to an object like a hand of glory." Elijah agreed.
"It's been a long day." Amira cut in. "We're all together right now, which will make it all that much harder for the Strix's coven to get any of you. So let's get some rest. Tomorrow, we can focus on our next step."
"You're right." Amity nodded. "The kids are in their nursery, I assume?"
"Yeah." Amity walked out first and the rest of her siblings began to disperse. Hayley walked in to the nursery behind her.
"Hey." Hayley said.
"Hi."
"I took Izzy out to feed earlier."
"Thanks." Amity smiled. Hayley walked closer and stopped beside her.
"It's not your fault, you know." Hayley spoke up.
"What?" Hayley sent her a look.
"You're not fooling me. In a typical Amity fashion, you're blaming you for not being here." Amity stayed quiet. "You weren't here, but I'm guessing you saved the day in Mystic Falls. If you were here, who knows how they would have survived. We're all still alive here, and you just helped two innocents come into the world safely."
"Yeah, I did. But Aurora almost killed Freya and the Strix almost killed you."
"Key word, almost."
"I need to contact Kol."
"Do you really think he helped Davina?"
"Despite the fact that you two barely knew each other, my brother knows better than to let you get hurt. You're the mother of his niece. And you mean a lot to us."
"You know how to bring him back, don't you?"
"What?"
"Kol. Before you were hellbent on finding a solution, but now you don't seem so concerned. You have a way to bring him back."
"You're perceptive."
"Why haven't you already hocus-pocus-ed him out?"
"Right now, he's dead, and that's the safest place for him to be." Amity huffed, knowing Hayley wouldn't quit.
"You don't want to bring him back only to lose him."
"Soon. I'll bring him back soon. We'll defeat Aurora and Lucien and the Strix and whoever else we have to get rid of, and then we can be a family again. I don't particularly think New Orleans is where I want my home."
"You want to leave?"
"I want us all to leave. It's too much trouble. The city takes far more than it gives, and I want us to raise our children in a place where they won't have to worry when they step outside. For a while, before I came to New Orleans, I lived in this beautiful village, near the sea, a coven of witches and a pack of wolves nearby. And when Amira wasn't by my side, keeping an eye on me, she'd made some friends of her own there. Left behind a legacy- a society of kids of different species, coming together always having some kind of adventure to chase."
"Sounds beautiful."
"That's where we'll go. New Orleans is hearty, and perhaps to my siblings it's home, but not for me. And it's not where I want my son to call home."
"Then we'll go, all of us. You, me, the kids, Amira. Klaus, Freya and Elijah. Kol and Rebekah. We'll find someplace we can all call home." Hayley placed her hand on top of Amity's where it rested on the edge of Hope's cot. "Come on, you've had some emotionally challenging days. Maybe it's time you took a rest."
"Yeah, I will." Amity nodded and Hayley led her out.