39

Hayley, still poisoned from the wolfsbane, slowly fell asleep.
"What happened?" Klaus asked.
"She's fine. She's safe." Amity replied. "They were pumping wolfsbane into her system, to keep her weak."
"Did anyone see you?"
"One of Tristan's minions." Amity rolled her eyes, before kneeling beside Hayley. She put her hand over her forehead. She concentrated and a blue light glowed under her palm.
"What are you doing?" Elijah asked.
"I was thinking- Tristan should know better than to underestimate my magic."
"What do you mean?"
"I mean, he knows I'm more powerful than a normal witch- he knows I'm powerful enough to break out of anti magic chains, that I can travel through space instantly." She said, her hand travelling over Hayley's body. "He doesn't know the full extent of my power, and he's certainly not stupid enough to believe that in a matter of weeks he could find a weapon that would certainly take me down, without knowing a single thing about my magic."
"I don't see where-"
"You think when he said that if he saw you, he'd kill Hayley, he didn't mean he'd get to her before you. You think he cursed her or something?" Freya cut Elijah off.
"Exactly." Amity nodded. "Yeah, here we are. This is a particularly nasty one. He must really hate Hayley."
"What did he do?"
"This curse- it would have caused her to slowly lose her mind."
"Like Rebekah's hex?"
"No, not Rebekah's hex. Worse. Rebekah's hex was random. She hated anyone and everyone. Hayley's is more concentrated. She'll want to find and get rid of anyone she loves. Everyone she cares about. With Rebekah, whoever she saw was fair game. With Hayley, she'll be seeking out her loved ones."
"Can you stop it?" Elijah asked and Amity closed her palm.
"Just did. You see, this curse was designed to take hold once she regained her strength. I'm guessing, it would have been right after this nap."
"And the Serratura?"
"I went in for Hayley. I didn't want to risk anything going wrong with her."
"No unnecessary risks. That's good."
"Where's Amira?"
"Upstairs... and a little upset." Klaus said and Amity frowned.
"Why?" Klaus shrugged. "Keep an eye on Hayley." She told her siblings and sped to Amira's room. "Amira?"
"What? Couldn't find another potential disaster to risk your life for?" Amira snapped and Amity sighed, waving her hand silently casting a privacy spell.
"Amira..."
"Look, I like Hayley. I do. And I want her safe. But you keep throwing yourself into these dangerous situations that you might not make it back from."
"It wasn't dangerous."
"How do you know? You keep insisting there's no way Tristan can have a weapon against you, but he and Lucien seem to have a lot of objects we didn't think possible."
"I have been alive for over six thousand years. The closest I've ever gotten to death required my being weak and both Mal and Lia's powers. And even then, nature stepped in and stopped it. I'm not going anywhere. Not for a long time."
"And if he uses the Serratura against you?"
"Tristan De Martel is hardly the most cunning foe I've had to face. He's not even in the top three."
"I did not spend centuries searching for you just to lose you."
"You won't lose me, Amira. There is nothing that will ever take me away from you. I'm never giving up, 'Mira. Ever."
"I know that you'll try, and I know you think yourself invincible- and maybe you are, but you're also my grandmother. You're my family. You, uncle Nik, Freya- you're all I have left... that I can count on. And Kol's gone- twice, by the way. Finn- Freya has him trapped in a necklace because Esther messed with his mind." Amira sighed. "I'm not saying keep out of family affairs and leave them to fend for themselves. Of course you should help, I'll be right there helping with you- but at least be careful. Don't go running into situations that are potentially dangerous without a real plan. Be smart. Because you still have a son to think of."
"You're right. I do. I hear you, Amira, and you're right." Amity hugged her granddaughter. "I'm sorry I freaked you out. I'll pace myself."
"Thanks."
"And I know Rebekah and Elijah aren't your favourites..."
"I love you, and I love uncle Nik. I like Freya. She's nice and fun. I just don't seem to connect well with Rebekah and Elijah. I know they don't trust me, even now, and I don't trust them." Amity put her hand on Amira's head, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.
"I'm sorry, sweetheart."
"That's okay. Just stop doing crazy stuff. I just don't want to lose you guys, is all."
"I promise." Amity said and Amira smiled.
"Good. Now come on, let's go see how we can defeat Tristan. Together."
"Why don't you go on down? I want to check on Hope and Izzy." Amira nodded and Amity waved her hand undoing her privacy spell. Amira headed down as Amity went to the nursery. Hope was sleeping soundly in her bed, but Izzy wasn't in his cot. "Izzy!" Amity called and he materialised in her arms.
"Yack." He said and Amity frowned. He was talking about Jackson.
"You see your uncle?"
"Yack." Izzy repeated. Amity closed her eyes, mourning. Sensing her sadness, Izzy put his hands on his mother cheeks looking sadly at her. "No cry, mommy."
"Okay baby." She blinked back tears, trying to be strong for her son. She put on a smile, trying to brighten up her emotions.