11

Hayley and I were getting dressed in my room. I'd found a beautiful green dress with lace that went up to my neck. It fit my torso and flowed out from the hips. There was a knock on the door and I opened it to see Elijah.
"Hello, brother."
"I hadn't realised you were coming." He said.
"Yes, well, Hayley decided I was, so.." I shrugged.
"Where's Izzy?"
"Jackson's looking after him and Hope."
"Is that wise? What if Izzy goes to his father?"
"Izzy usually pops over when Abraham grabs him. It's all subconscious. He sees his father reaching out and he disappears."
"Oh."
"Doesn't she look beautiful?" Hayley walked over.
"She does." He agreed, looking at me. "You do. You both do." He looked at Hayley, his breath hitching.
"Thanks."
"So Mal's waiting for us outside, so we should probably get going." I interrupted.
"Mal?"
"Her date."
"Never refer to Mal as a date. He's just going to be my escort."
"Who's Mal?"
"He's a friend of mine."
"Since when?"
"Elijah, just stop. Okay? Stop, and let's go."
"I would just like to know who my sister is choosing to spend time with."
"He's Aria's brother."
"The one you went to help her with? The.. psycho one?"
"He's not a psychopath, regardless of what Lia says."
"Amity, I don't think-"
"Elijah, there aren't many people I would even think about taking to the ball tonight." I told him.
"She won't take Isaac in case Tristan kills him... and that's where the list ends."
"Fine, I'll just stay in tonight."
"Okay, I'll stop." Hayley grabbed my hand to stop me from leaving.
"I still don't want to go."
"I know, but come on. You already said yes, and Mal's waiting for you." I groaned but allowed her to drag me out.

The car ride was unbearable. Elijah wouldn't stop asking Mal questions and frowned whenever I refused to answer. We finally arrived, walking into a ballroom. Hayley held her mask to her face, as Mal held out his arm to me.
"If I trip in these shoes, it's Hayley's fault." I muttered and he laughed. "For someone who doesn't do dressing up, she certainly likes shopping."
"I can hear you." She said, turning back to look at me.
"I know."
"Well, the company wasn't so bad."
"Why, thank you." Mal said. "But aren't you married?" Hayley laughed, but stopped as she noticed people staring.
"Why are they all staring at you?" She asked Elijah.
"I'm kind of a big deal around here."
"They're all part of your sireline." She realised.
"Most of them, tragically, yes. You see, Hayley, I wanted to assemble minds curious about the world and eager to improve it, along with the time and circumstance to do so. My desire was to create an elite brotherhood devoted to a new, better civilization. It was naive. Eventually, I was forced to abandon them once I realized I'd cultivated a legion of ego-maniacal sociopaths." They stopped at the bar and Elijah ordered drinks.
"I just want water, 'Lijah." I told him.
"Have some champagne." He tried to convince but I shook my head.
"Water only."
"So, I've never met anyone who was part of your sireline." Hayley said.
"That, my friend, is because I've never turned anyone."
"Ever?"
"Ever."
"Would you ever turn anyone?" She asked.
"Being human is a wonderful gift in itself. Is it really up to me to make that choice?"
"You hate vampirism, don't you?"
"I did. I don't know, it's been a lot easier this past year. Immortality has some appeal."
"Yeah, I get that."
"Girl thing?" Mal smirked.
"Behave, Mal. You promised you'd be polite tonight."
"Fine."
"I want to dance." Hayley announced, and grabbed Elijah's hand. "Come on, Amity. You and Mal too."
"No, thanks."
"I'll get her out there later." Mal promised with a wink and Hayley walked away, satisfied.
"I won't dance."
"Not to this song we won't." He said.
"Do you even know how to dance to anything that isn't, oh what do they call it these day, folk music?"
"I'll have you know, I was once a dancer. You name it, I danced it."
"Ever been a baker?"
"Nah, I've always been horrible at that. No amount of lives was or is ever going to change that."
"But you've always had magic? I mean as a warlock? Not total magic."
"Not every time. Sometimes I was just human. Never been a vampire or a werewolf, either."
"Ever bumped into Lia?"
"Every time."
"Really?"
"Yeah. I was always between the ages seven and thirteen." He gulped down the rest of his drink. "So, where's Tristan?"
"Why do you want to meet him so bad?"
"Because, from what I hear, he has a thing for you. I'm interested."
"Any girls in your life? This one?"
"Nice deflection."
"I'm genuinely curious too. You've always been all 'must destroy. Destruction is my life'. So, tell me. Is there anyone you care for?"
"Not in this life. I've had girlfriends, but no one I've loved."
"Well, you're still young." I shrugged. He pulled a face as a couple of caterers began tapping their glasses getting everyone's attention. "That's Tristan." I pointed out as said man began a speech.
"Distinguished friends, welcome. It's so rare that we're able to come together like this to revel for one night in the company of true equals. Now, I'd like to take a moment to welcome a very special guest-" He gestured to Marcel. "Marcel Gerard."
"Why is he here?" I frowned.
"You know him?"
"Yeah. He's a friend of the family. Sort of."
"Thank you. I'm honored. Thank you." He stepped forward.
"Of course, before we tell Marcel all of our secrets, there's one small piece of business to which we must first attend. We must determine his worth."
"Determine his worth? What is this? Some kind of cult?" Mal snorted.
"That's funny... I seem to recall you being the one knocking on my door."
"You'll notice, Mr. Gerard, that over the course of the evening, someone has managed to take something quite dear to you... Your daylight ring." I rolled my eyes.
"Someone's going to die tonight." I rolled my eyes.
"And I didn't have anything to do with it."
"Stop looking so smug." I rolled my eyes.
"The test is quite simple. First, you need to deduce the identity of the thief. Then, you are simply to take back what is yours... Although, I doubt the prize will be easily relinquished. After all, despite our refinement, we're still a rather violent bunch."
"And that's Tristan for you." I said.
"In victory, you become one of us. In failure, you meet your death. You have a few hours until dawn. I wish you the best of luck."