13

I looked over to Nik and Lucien as they walked past us into the ballroom, howling and surrounded by women in wigs and short dresses.
"Greetings!" Nik yelled. "What a beloved occasion!"
"My God, it's a room full of Elijahs." Lucien grimaced. Nik stumbled around as though he were drunk as he laughed.
"I had that exact same nightmare once!" The women laughed and I rolled my eyes.
"Go and grab us a drink, love! Feel free to fetch one for yourself." Lucien said, his arms around two familiar girls. I looked at them properly and curiously. It was Freya and Amira- I was sure of it. Freya walked off, but Amira stayed put.
"One for me, please! And one for her, and her, and her, and her..."
"It appears I was mistaken," Mal watched with a smirk. "There's plenty soul in this party."
"Mal-"
"I'm not doing anything wrong." He shrugged, and I rolled my eyes. Elijah moved to walk over but I stopped him.
"Not yet." I said. "The two of you, stay here for a little longer." I walked away, slipping up the stairs. I looked around, searching for Freya and heard her voice. She was talking to another girl.
"Whatever spell you choose, I will be one step ahead." The other woman was saying. "Since the moment you walked in, I've seen a thousand ends to this little confrontation- none of them very favorable to you."
"And have you seen me?" I slipped in. She stopped.
"Who are you?"
"First things first, that's enough of that." I cut her connection to the spell she was using on Freya.
"I haven't seen you. That's impossible. I've always seen everyone." She frowned.
"Evidently not." I let out a dry laugh. "Are you okay, sister?"
"Peachy." Freya said, rubbing her throat.
"You're a Mikaelson." The woman realised staring at Freya. "Which would also make you a Mikaelson." In a desperate attempt she lunged forward kissing Freya. I pulled her away, but it didn't seem to matter. Freya's eyes glazed over, for a few moments before she shook herself out of the stupor. "The family blood you sought to find shall be what lays you low in kind."
"You spout a rhyming couplet, and we're supposed to take you seriously?" I scoffed, snapping my fingers and chains appeared on her hand.
"Poor girl. You searched a thousand years for family, and, in finding them, they will be your undoing." I walked over tapping her forehead, catching her as she crumpled. Freya looked at me.
"I was getting tired of her lies. We're your family. I won't let anything happen to us and she can't even see me." I explained. "Why are you here?"
"We thought Tristan had taken her. Lucien wants her back and we need more information."
"Cloak yourselves and get out. I'll go dismiss our little brother." I said and walked out of the room.

"Or maybe-" Nik took a step towards Tristan and I watched from the staircase, opting to see Tristan rather humiliated. "-you should move along before I make you cry in front of all your little friends!"
"My concern is for your companions. They appear out of sorts without a shiny pole to writhe upon."
"Ohhhhhh, he's suggesting that you're exotic dancers! Which, to him, is an insult," Lucien explained. "if not hypocritical. But, don't take it personally, love. He finds all work demeaning. The only dignified way to accumulate wealth is by birth." He leaned forward and tapped Tristan's nose. "Boop! Isn't that right, Tristan? Hmm?"
"Nik." I walked through the crowd, touching Amira's arm softly as I passed her. "Perhaps it's time to take your party elsewhere? Surely neither the company nor the theme is quite so appealing to you?"
"Well, that's why I brought my own company. And I could adjust to the theme."
"He's hammered. Which should come as very little surprise to anyone here, but it does hamper the festivities somewhat." Elijah came to my side, lowering his voice. "So, could we recommend that you find the nearest exit and..."
"Just..?" Nik whispered.
"Yes, and could you take your playthings with you, too?" Elijah said, right before he noticed Amira scowling at him. He froze, looking apologetic as he noticed he'd insulted her as well. Her jaw had dropped as she glared, so Nik decided to try to distract them. He pushed his glass of champagne at Elijah, stepping forward, to address the crowd and Tristan.
"You know, I used to find it insulting that I was barred from your special little club. But now, I realize that I lack the flexibility to become a member. I could never get my head far enough up my own ass." He bowed, mockingly. Elijah handed him his champagne and he drank it, finishing it. He looked at Tristan. "Cheap." He insulted, as he turned his companions, still looking directly at Tristan. "Come on. Let's go. This party's dead anyway." I followed them out to the parking garage, taking hold of Amira.
"He didn't see you." I told her.
"Either way, I don't care." She said. "He's an ass."
"He cares about you."
"He probably only wants me to forgive him to find out where Gia is."
"That's not true." I told her, slipping off her mask. "He wants to know the beautiful charming young woman he alienated and wronged."
"I don't like him and I don't trust him. Besides, I'm not missing out on anything. He's got a huge stick up his-"
"Amity." Freya interrupted. She stood beside a car.
"You have her?" Lucien asked.
"Locked and loaded. Sleeping like a baby in the back."
"What did you do to her?"
"A quick, painless sleeping spell." Lucien opened the door.
"Why is she in shackles?" He said trying to undo them, before jumping back in shock.
"That was also me. She was attacking." I shrugged, and waved my hands so it disappeared.
"I.. I heard you had magic, I just didn't know you were this powerful." Lucien looked at me in awe.
"I should get back to the party. I'll see you guys at home?" I said. "I'll just get Mal, and tell Elijah I'm leaving." I assured Amira who shook her head.
"No, no. You stay. Enjoy yourself."
"I'm only here because Hayley and Mal persuaded me. I still have no desire to be in the same room as Tristan."
"I know, but try to enjoy yourself. You don't take many nights off."
"Tristan invited Marcel. He wants Marcel to join them and tonight either Marcel proves himself or he dies."
"I should've known better than to think there'd be a relaxing evening with you around. You just always find trouble."
"Well, I am a Mikaelson. You're not very innocent either."
"Yes, but I don't have something to try fix every night. I know how to take time off."
"And what will you be doing tonight?"
"Well, first I'm going to get changed because if I'm going to be dressed slutty, then I might as well be in style."
"I think you look beautiful, no matter what you wear." I touched her cheek.
"You have to say that! Okay, now go. I promise I'll hold it together until you come home. Deal?"
"Deal." I laughed.