49

Amity came back to the hospital to find chaos. Stefan had ignored her and went ahead with the surgery, listening to Valerie instead. She came across a coven of siphoners in the operating room. Amity sighed, looking at her companion.
"One second." She said and sped in. "What happened to waiting?"
"I didn't know if you were coming back."
"Look, Caroline asked me for help. I'm helping." She said. "So tell me exactly what is going on." She stopped and looked at one of the siphoners. His neck was bleeding. "What's going on with him?" The siphoner put his hand to his throat, looking horrified.
"Oh my god, Beau." Another said.
"It's his scar." Valerie realised. Amity rolled her eyes, as the siphoners stopped what they were doing to Caroline. One of the girls walked away from the group and Amity listened in to her conversation. She was talking to Bonnie. Amity stiffened, and instead focused on the surgeon.
"Five milligrams." She said and the technician began filling up a needle. He handed the syringe to the surgeon who lowered it to Caroline to inject her. Before the needle could inject her skin, however, it began to bend. The surgeon lifted the syringe to look at it, only for it to begin to crack. Amity sped over taking it away, before it completely broke and injured the surgeon.
"You've got a great grasp of the situation, Stefan. Whatever would Caroline do without you." Amity said sarcastically.
"She won't have to find out." He replied determinedly. Amity rolled her eyes.
"This is what I do. The impossible is my thing. You're going to end up making things worse for her." She said.
"We were doing fine before you came."
"Then I guess I came just in time. Everybody out." She said. "Jason, come in!"
"Who's Jason?"
"I am." A blonde man walked in- Amity's earlier companion. He was wearing a doctor's coat, and scrubs underneath.
"Stefan, meet Jason. He's an obstetrician, and a vampire, which means, he can perform Caroline's c-section without getting hurt himself." Amity took over. The siphoners save for Valerie left and Stefan seemed reluctant to watch them go.
"We don't have a choice, Stefan. Beau can't stay here. Not only will he be a sitting duck, but he'll also lead Rayna straight to us. To Caroline." Valerie stopped him. Amity walked away, ignoring Valerie and her coven's goodbyes. She compelled the surgeon to leave, and forget anything unusual that had happened that day. Jason took his spot as Amity stood by Caroline's body. Her hands hovered near Caroline's stomach as a ball of energy formed. Valerie found herself drawn to it and walked back. "What is that?"
"A magnet, of sorts. To coax the babies out, to want another energy source."
"You have a literally ball of light in your hands. What spell is that?"
"Don't ask questions." Amity quietened her and continued to draw the children away from Caroline. Jason continued the surgery, until Bonnie walked in.
"She's here." Bonnie's voice called. Amity's concentration almost broke and Valerie noticed the quick falter in the spell. Bonnie didn't seem to notice Amity, considering her back was to her. "How is she?" Bonnie asked, concerned for her friend.
"They're about to get the babies out. What's wrong?" Stefan asked. Bonnie hesitated for a moment and looked at Valerie apologetically before she spoke.
"Beau didn't get away." Valerie's eyes were wide with horror and shock, and she shook her head in denial.
"No. No, that's not possible."
"I'm so sorry, Valerie." Stefan said.
"And what about the others?"
"I don't know. But I think Rayna's somewhere inside this hospital."
"Where's Damon?" Stefan asked. The lights began to flicker, as if on cue.
"He's with Rayna, trying to hold her off. And, not to make things worse, but my magic doesn't work on her, and I don't think Damon can take her alone." Bonnie looked at Stefan pointedly. Bonnie looked at the stranger beside Valerie in confusion before realising who it was. "Amity?" Amity looked at her.
"Yes?"
"What are you-?" Bonnie looked at Stefan.
"Caroline asked her for help." Stefan explained.
"Look," Bonnie decided to focus on that when they had more time. "Stefan, you have to go."
"What are you talking about? I'm not gonna leave her."
"I'll stay and help Valerie. Damon needs you."
"I don't care what Damon needs!"
"I don't know what he did to make you hate him, but he is so determined to make things right, he's gonna get himself killed." At his hesitation, she glared at him. "Do you honestly think I would do anything to put Caroline at risk?" Stefan turned to Amity.
"I sincerely hope you aren't looking at me for help." She scoffed.
"I thought that was the reason you came."
"To help the babies. I couldn't care less about the drama you guys managed to bring upon yourselves."
"You-"
"Stefan, he doesn't much time." Bonnie urged and he looked once more at Amity. She turned away from him, looking only at Caroline. Alaric walked in.
"What the hell is going on here?" He asked, looking around.
"Stefan go." Bonnie ignored him. "We can take it from here." He sighed and walked away. Amity concentrated, drawing the children's focus onto her magic rather than to the magic in Caroline's veins.
"Okay, now's our chance." Jason said. "The first baby is ready." He lifted up the first baby from Caroline's womb and handed it to a nurse who took her away to be cleaned. "And now for baby number two." Amity continued to draw out the child, as Jason managed to pick up the baby. He held it out to another nurse, as the other came back.
"I can finish this bit." Amity said, and extinguished her light, before simply hovering her hand over Caroline's stomach. Her skin began to knit itself back together and Bonnie watched until Caroline was pretty much good as new. The first nurse came back, with a clean baby, and Amity smiled. An innocent baby was always a good occasion, and here there were two. Alaric held his daughter, smiling at her, until the nurse came back with the second.
"Thank you." Alaric nodded at Amity.
"They're beautiful." She said, looking at them in awe. Alaric gestured for Amity to hold the second baby and she did. The baby nuzzled into her arms, slightly siphoning Amity. She giggled. "Do you have names in mind?"
"This is Josette. Josie." He looked down at the baby he held. "You're holding Lizzie. Elizabeth."
"Beautiful names." Amity stiffened, and stood up tall. She held the baby out to Bonnie. "I should get going. I'll be outside, Jason." She said and walked out. She stood at the entrance of the hospital. A few minutes later, Bonnie walked out.
"I know sorry won't change anything. But I am. I hurt you and I know you won't ever forgive me, but I am sorry. You deserved better than what we did."
"You tried to kill my family, Bonnie. Of course a sorry won't fix anything."
"I thought I was your family too."
"So did I. But even after I left, you didn't stop coming after my siblings. That is what I can't forgive. Kol, you guys killed him so that thousands more could die. My baby brother, a means to an end. Waking Silas was every bit the nightmare he tried to warn you about, wasn't it?"
"We got the cure."
"Yes, and remind me what happened to it?"
"Your siblings did a lot worse to a lot of people."
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Finn was innocent. Your friends murdered him and he was brainwashed. You know we keep his spirit locked in a pendant?"
"I didn't have anything to do with Finn."
"And what of Kol?"
"He was going to hurt Jeremy."
"He warned you away from Silas. You didn't listen. You had the white oak stake with the intention to murder him." Amity looked up and saw Jason. "Well, chatting was fun, but now I gotta go. I have a life to get back to, other people trying to kill my siblings. I have to look out for my son, so goodbye." She walked to Jason, grabbing his arm and moving them away.