27

I put a protection charm on Isaac and took him home before Lia and I got ready to go.
"Where's your granddaughter?"
"I talked to her earlier. She's taking the week off from New Orleans."
"Smart."
"Yeah. Okay, let me give Caroline a call." I sighed pulling out my phone.
"Amity?"
"Yeah, it's me. Um, I'm headed to Mystic Falls now. Where are you?"
"I'm at the Whitmore medical centre. How far out are you?"
"I'll be there in a second. Who else is with you?"
"Just Alaric and Valerie."
"Okay. Warning, I'm bringing a friend of my own." I told her and hung up. I smiled at my sister. "Ready?"
"Let's go." She said and I closed my eyes, opening them to hear Caroline gasp.
"Amity?"
"Yeah." Alaric stood beside Caroline and another girl was in the corner. Valerie, I guessed.
"You're here."
"Guess so." I shrugged, taking a step forward. Alaric inched closer to Caroline. "Oh, would you relax. If you take a look at history, I'd say the two of you are more like to try to cause me harm." I glared at him. I put my hands over Caroline's stomach.
"The doctor just left. I'm not pregnant." She said.
"I wouldn't be too sure about that. There's life in here." I said. I concentrated, waving my hand over her stomach and heard two more heartbeats. I grabbed the ultrasound wand.
"Are you even qualified to use that?" Alaric asked but I ignored him. I moved it across Caroline's stomach until an image showed up on the screen. Their heartbeats got louder, as the ultrasound picked up on the two babies in her womb.
"Whoever transferred these babies into your womb was thorough. You remember when Stefan stole my siblings? The only reason it took so long for me to get them back was because he'd enlisted the witch ancestors to cloak them."
"Are you saying-?"
"Well this spell is not as complex, but the gist of it is the same. They were hidden."
"Alaric's babies are the future of the coven. They would have protected them in any way they could." Valerie realised.
"You were right." Caroline frowned and Valerie nodded. I took a step back to let Alaric take my place.
"So, how long exactly do we have to stay here before we can go away?" Lia whispered and I held in a laugh.
"Do you have anything better to do?"
"No, but you do. Or have you already forgotten about Rebekah." I nudged her, to silence her.
"There's not really much to do until Freya and Hayley are done torturing Aurora."
"I can't believe you let Mal meet Tristan before me."
"If you want to meet him, go help Nik torture him."
"Now you're just confusing me with Mal. Since when am I on torture duty while Mal's your party buddy."
"He's not my party buddy. He and Hayley bullied me into going one time." I rolled my eyes. She just shrugged before looking at Valerie.
"You're a vampire and a witch." Lia said, staring at the blonde.
"And who are you?"
"She's a friend of mine." I said, linking my arm through hers.
"I don't know who you are, either."
"I'm an original vampire, sweetheart."
"Who can undo spells with a wave of her hand."
"Like you, I have the gift of magic."
"Well, not exactly like her." Lia shrugged.
"Normal witches don't retain their magic after they turn."
"I'm not a normal witch." I replied.
"I can see that." She remarked.
"Thank you for coming, Amity." Caroline tried smiling, and I shrugged.
"You're a pregnant vampire. You're going to need some help."
"To be clear, though," Alaric said. "You're still pissed?"
"You and your friends killed two of my brothers. What do you think?" I glared and Alaric looked away. "Let me just put down some rules. I am here for those two babies in Caroline's stomach. I do not want to talk about my family, I do not want to talk about my life. If you guys need something that does not concern the two innocent babies, do not even think about asking me. Now I assume Stefan has passed on my message, but I'll reiterate. I am not coming after your friends. I am not coming after you. I am not here to help or harm you. My only purposes in this town are the babies. Got it?"
"You might want to calm down." Lia set her hand on my shoulder and I noticed the wind picking up outside. I smiled at her gratefully and tried to settle my breathing.
"We hear you." Caroline nodded.
"Good." I said. "So shall I call the doctor back in for a check up, or are you going to go?"
"Call the doctor back in." Caroline said and I turned to walk out of the room.

It was an awkward car ride. Alaric had driven us all, minus Lia who flat out refused to ride in the car. Caroline sat in the front seat, and I was in the back with the hybrid.
"So... how long have you guys know each other?" Valerie asked turning to me.
"Two and a half years." I shrugged. "Give or take."
"I'm probably going to regret this, but how do you know each other?"
"Um, you know." Caroline shrugged. "It's a bit of a long story."
"I like stories."
"It's a story we're not telling you." Caroline snapped.
"What made you think you were pregnant? The babies were cloaked."
"The spell the coven casted. It was a transference spell so I tried a little locator spell." Valerie said. I nodded. My phone chimed with a text.

End up killing anyone yet? Isaac asked.
The night's still young, but your lack of faith in me hurts. I replied.
Sorry. Forgive me.
Forgiven. Are you doing anything fun?
Thinking about you is always fun.
You're not supposed to think about me.
Not even in a totally platonic and friendly way?
Are you thinking about me in a totally platonic and friendly way?
I could be. I hid my smile, not wanting Caroline or Alaric to ask questions. My phone chimed with another text. But I'm not.