64

The next morning, Amity and Hayley called Mary together.
"Hello." Mary was sitting on a couch.
"Hi, Mary. How are you?" Hayley asked.
"I'm fine. So are the children."
"I owe you an explanation." Amity said. She could see the curiosity burning in the older woman's eyes.
"I'm guessing it's got something to do with your son's disappearing act?"
"Yeah. Izzy's father is dead, you know that. What you don't know is that he's been dead for a thousand years."
"Izzy's a thousand years old?" Mary frowned.
"No. Three years ago, there was a spell, back in Mystic Falls. Dead came back to life, one of them being Izzy's father."
"Abraham was still kind of half dead half alive when Izzy was conceived, giving Izzy all these crazy other powers." Hayley continued.
"One of which allows him to see his father. He can interact with ghosts. He can move from our world to the other, without using some variation of astral projection."
"So when he disappeared yesterday..."
"He went to visit his father."
"He can see all of them? Everyone?"
"Yeah, even Jackson."
"Oh." Amity could see her eyes begin to water with unshed tears.
"I don't know exactly how things work over there, but I do know the dead have the option of watching over their loved ones or to just find peace." Amity softened her gaze. "I think he's moved on to find peace."
"Thank you." Mary nodded.
"Izzy doesn't drink blood when he's near Hope. He refuses it. When he gets hungry, he'll come find me. He can... teleport."
"What?"
"Izzy's powers aren't all easily explained. He's the only one of his kind. Vampire, witch, ghost."
"What else can he do?"
"He has access to his basic vampiric gifts. Speed, strength. He can't compel or anything yet. As a warlock, he can do spells. Right now, he's still young though, so most of his magic is intuitive. Instinctive. As a ghost he can teleport, walk between worlds. He's sensitive. He can usually tell who is trustworthy and who's not."
"We're still discovering abilities. He doesn't seem to be able to control who he sees."
"He's the only one of his kind, so its hard to tell anything really. Ghosts are pretty unique, even in the supernatural."

Later, after Amity and Hayley finished speaking with Mary, and with Hope and Izzy who were delighted to see their mothers in the phone, they ended the call.
"So, what now?" Hayley asked.
"Nik's got Freya working on a spell to turn Lucien back to a vampire- to strip away this spell. I need to find a cure. In case Lucien bites someone again."
"Anything I can do to help?"
"I have a lot of grimoires to go through."
"But Lucien is something new. You aren't going to find something in grimoires over a thousand old."
"Lucien used Esther's spell and adjusted it to make him something better. I'm guessing that Esther drew inspiration from the grimoires around her to come up with the vampirism spell. She was powerful, but to have come up with the spell for vampirism from scratch would have taken a lot more time than she had. She barely spent a month on the spell."
"So what are we going to be looking for?"
"Transmogrification spells."
"English, please. I haven't studied magic like you."
"Changing someone's physiology. I'm sure Esther drew inspiration from the spells that include some aspect of changing the biological nature of a person."
"How do I tell apart transmogrification from the other spells?"
"It's heavy magic. So look for anything requiring- actually wait. There's a simpler process."
"What?" Amity raised her hand covering Hayley's eyes.
"Interpretor lingua." She whispered. She moved her hands and handed Hayley a grimoire instead. "Here, try this."
"You find a spell to magically translate your grimoires?"
"Pretty much."
"I was kidding."
"Well, really it translates any language you see into a language you understand."
"No." Hayley said in awe. The awe turned into anger. "You know a lot of things and this isn't fair."
"What?"
"I am sick of this family keeping things from you. It's not fair to you."
"What are you talking about?"
"Hayley-" Elijah stood at the door. Amity raised her hand and pushed him out, closing the door.
"What is it?" Amity asked.
"One, Rebekah's daggered. The hex came back, and it was the only way. She asked Elijah to dagger her."
"What?"
"I'm sorry." Hayley shook her head. "And two, Kol isn't just out with Davina. Turns out he's suffering some kind of curse. A murderous hunger."
"Where is he?"
"Davina took him to St James. No magic, right?" Hayley noticed the torn look on her face. "Go. I can read through a couple musty books. I'll mark anything that has to do with trans-bla-bla."
"But-"
"This is going to take us a couple hours, anyway. Go help your brother."
"Thank you, Hayley." Amity said.
"Sorry I kept it from you."