15

I got home and found the seer sitting on the couch with Lucien. My siblings, Amira and Hayley all stood around her as Hayley looked up to me.
"Everything okay?"
"Everything's fine." I assured.
"Okay." She nodded. Lucien looked confused, but knew better than to ask.
"I'm sorry. I hoped I was wrong, Lucien. I really did." The seer turned to him apologetically before looking up at Nik. "But I saw it. I saw him die."
"Did you see the weapon?" She nodded. "What is it?"
"To understand, it must be seen." She said, before holding her arm out to Hayley who walked over and sat down. Lucien stood to allow Elijah to sit beside the seer. Hayley and Elijah bit into her wrists and I closed my eyes, opting to get into her head from my seat.
There was an image- a page from a grimoire with a spell. Then, the vision cut to the dining room, looking like there had been a fight- the chairs were overturned, broken glasses littered the table and floor. The image changed Freya was dipping her fingers in the bowl of blood, and there was blood dripping off a painting of Elijah. It changed again to Freya casting the spell and I arrived placing my hand on Freya's head, to see the seer's previous vision. A piece of paper with Klaus, Elijah, and Rebekah's names written in runic script caught on fire. I saw a man's face as he smirked smugly. His face was strange. It wasn't exactly like a vampire's but it was definitely not human either. Before I could examine it any more, I was thrust from her head. Elijah threw up her blood on the floor beside him as Hayley tried to keep it inside.
"Something's wrong." She groaned.
"Poison." Elijah said as the seer began to throw up blood. Lucien rushed over to her side as Elijah got up. He cupped her face in his hands as he looked at her, blood coming out of her nose too.
"No! No!" He said as she sagged, dying, falling into his arms. "No! No, no, no, no, no!"

We all eventually filtered out of the room, to let Lucien be with his seer. We stood in the kitchen as Nik poured himself and Amira a drink.
"So that happened." Amira said. "You have fun at the party?"
"Hardly." I rolled my eyes. Elijah looked as though he wanted to say something. To apologise.
"I-" he started.
"It's been a long night. I'm going to get some sleep." Amira cut him off and walked away. I stood up to follow after her but Elijah stopped me. "Allow me?"
"I don't think that's wise, 'Lijah. She really doesn't want to talk to you or even see you right now." I said. He looked at me pleadingly and I nodded. He walked after her.
"By the way, there's a gentleman in the ballroom for you." Nik said.
"Mal's still here?"
"Yes." I nodded and walked away.

An hour later I drove Hayley and Mal home. I made plans to pick her up later in the day and headed back down to my car.
"I want ice cream." Mal said, suddenly.
"You want ice cream?" I frowned. "At five in the morning?"
"Yes. Come with me?"
"Nowhere is open at this time." I protested, and he snapped his fingers. A cone appeared in my hand and another in his.
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
"You're an idiot."
"Let's take a walk. So as not to drip any ice cream in the car."
"We're overdressed for a simple walk."
"So?"
"And it's too early." I groaned. "Plus I have to be home in two hours because Rebekah's astral projecting and I need her to stay long enough to hear me out."
"Hear you out about what?" He asked gently pushing me along.
"About you. About Lia. About me. Everything. The whole truth."
"That's today?"
"As soon as possible. They deserve to know, and I can't keep referring to you and Lia as my friends."
"True."
"So will you let go of me so I can go back to my car."
"Just a few minutes." He said.
"You have ten." I said. I let go of the ice cream and let it disappear before it fell. "I don't really want ice cream."
"To each their own." He said as I rolled my eyes. It wasn't long before we bumped into Isaac.
"Amity." He greeted.
"Hey."
"How are you?"
"Better than you saw me last." I told him. "A lot better."
"That's good." He looked at Mal curiously.
"Oh, uh. Mal, this is Isaac. Isaac, this is Mal. He's a.. friend."
"So you're Isaac." Mal snapped his finger as his cone disappeared. He folded his arms. "I've heard a lot about you."
"I can't say the same." Isaac stared back.
"Mal, go away." I said.
"Just a second." He stopped me. "You see, Amity's like a sister kind of friend. So I want to know what are your intentions for our Amity, here?"
"Mal!" I glared and he held his hands up.
"I believe I'm well within my rights."
"Go away."
"Fine." He sighed. "And remember, you have to go home in two hours." He disappeared, rather dramatically.
"So, a friend, huh?"
"Yes."
"Good to know." He looked at me. I couldn't help but laugh.
"So, you're out early."
"I, uh. I couldn't sleep. I thought maybe fresh air would help." He said. "You look dressed up."
"Hayley forced me to go to this party thing."
"Hayley, your niece's mother?"
"Yeah."
"Was it fun?"
"Not at all."
"Well, you look stunning."
"Thanks." I grinned.
"How's Izzy?"
"He's good. Getting bigger everyday. But I guess that's just how babies work."
"Probably." He agreed. "I've missed you."
"I've been trying not to miss you. Maybe it's time we talked."
"You aren't going to try to compel me again, are you?"
"No. I promise everything you do is of your own free will."
"I'm just messing with you."
"Oh." I looked at him, sheepishly. "When Dahlia tried to use you, to get to me, I was scared. I didn't want to lose you. I guess I let myself forget that you're a human, and that a connection with me would put a target on your back."
"I can handle that."
"Most of all, I freaked out because I'm not ready. I'm not ready to lose anyone else. I'm not ready to let myself care about you the way I've been starting to. I'm not over Izzy's father. I don't know if I ever will be, but I know I'm not right now. And it's not fair to you, nor me, if I pretend that I am."
"That's okay." He smiled at me softly. He held his hand out. "Friends?"
"I can do friends." I nodded, taking his hand and shaking it.
"Good."