28

Alaric had dropped us at Caroline's dorm, leaving the two of us alone. We walked in to see Lia looking bored, laying on one of the beds. Caroline looked between us.
"How did you get here?"
"Magic." Lia grinned.
"I've seen magic. You don't even know me, how do you know where I live?"
"Aria isn't a normal witch either."
"Exactly."
"How do you two know each other?" I looked at Aria.
"Well, um..." I started.
"It's a long story." Lia shrugged.
"Right." Lia held up a journal.
"Some fascinating stuff in here."
"What- how did you even-?" Caroline snatched her journal out of Lia's hands. "Stay out of my stuff!"
"So your friend's in a magical coma and you're writing out everything that happens in your life so she can read it when she wakes up when your other friend dies?"
"Stop reading my private journal." She glared at Lia.
"What if I have a solution?" Lia asked.
"Do you have a solution?" Caroline asked, and Lia nodded. "Are you willing to share it?"
"No." Lia shook her head and Caroline rolled her eyes.
"Why are you here again?"
"Because Amity asked me along. We're a package deal." Caroline looked back at me.
"She's right. Package deal. I needed someone who could handle themselves, that I trusted and would help me quell my rage. She was at the top of the list." I shrugged. Caroline turned back to Lia as she began to talk.
"Correct me if I'm wrong but it's the doppelgänger who's in this coma, right? The one who was directly involved in both Finn and Kol's demises?"
"Yeah." Caroline grumbled. "Stop smirking, Amity." She said, without turning to look at me.
"Hey what does your boyfriend think of you being pregnant with your old history teacher's baby?" Caroline groaned, walking to her desk and putting away her journal.
"How do you know about Stefan?"
"You're dating Stefan?" I asked.
"Do you even care?"
"Actually I find it funny. So you and Elena just switched boyfriends?"
"No."
"I thought you dated Damon, and I know Elena dated Stefan."
"I never dated Damon. Damon compelled me to be his girlfriend."
"But you were still his girlfriend."
"You never used to be this infuriating."
"I never used to hate you."
"Okay, so things are heating up." Lia walked back over to me. "Zee, why don't you take a short walk. Cool down. Give Amira a call."
"I'm fine." I sighed.
"Maybe helping Freya torture Aurora will make you feel better?" She said. "I'll keep an eye on Blondie, here."
"Who's Aurora?"
"Nik's psycho ex." I shrugged. "He's never really had the best taste in women."
"Weren't you best friends with, like, the first love of his life?"
"I loved Tatia, I did, but she was never good for him. Then he fell for Aurora, who was good for him. Till she broke his heart. Then it was you, but he's moved on from that, thank goodness. Who else? Oh yeah, Genevieve."
"That fling was never going to last." Lia said, and I shrugged.
"I know, he was pretty much in love with Cami by then." I looked at Caroline. "Now, she's perfect for him. She's good, she's strong, she's smart."
"Well your version of good is usually someone who's on your family's good side."
"My version of good is someone who's not trying to murder my family or, you know, anyone that gets in their way."
"Oh please. You were friends with Katherine and that's all she ever did. I mean, even on her deathbed she couldn't give it a rest. Did you know she tried to take over Elena's body?"
"Yes, of course, I did. It was my idea."
"You hate us that much?"
"You have no idea what your actions caused my family. To my child. You guys killed my brothers. I mean, I was barely out of my coffin for a month, I was pregnant, and my child's father was dead, all I had were my siblings. I needed Finn more than anything else in the world, and your friends killed him. Tried to kill my entire family."
"That was rash." Caroline admitted.
"Rash?" I scoffed. "He ended up on the other side. With Esther. She spent over a year getting into his head, messing with his mind, until he thought it was okay to kill two innocent children. Yeah, Esther set him on my child and on Nik's." She looked shocked. "I was perfectly content with not talking about what happened in this town, but you want to open this can of worms? Fine. Because then you killed my other brother. Did you know no one told me he was dead? I mean, I was a couple months pregnant, and I was already broken by Finn's death. So my siblings decided not to tell me because they didn't want to break me even more. I didn't find out until I got to New Orleans. Another brother dead. But, you know. They both came back to life. And then Finn killed Kol. And I pretty much lost my baby brother all over again. Let's add Mikael and Esther's resurrection, and the appearance of a long lost evil wicked witch of an aunt who wanted my child and Nik's. Yeah, things have kind of been rough. Maybe Esther and Mikael and Dahlia weren't your faults, but I lost two of my siblings because of you and your friends. So my version of good included people who actually care, and who aren't trying to spend every waking minute trying to hurt my family. Katherine- She only ever tried to do right by me, and by Elijah. Sure, she didn't always go about it the right way, but when you guys killed Finn, he was on a date with the love of his life. A woman who waited nine centuries just for him to come back to her. When she killed Jeremy, it was because he killed my brother. Hate Katherine all you want, but she cared. She cared about me, and about Elijah, and about the baby I was yet to give birth to." I said. "Villains and heroes are different in each story. In my story, my siblings are my heroes and you guys are the villains."
"If that's true why did you answer when I called yesterday?"
"I was talking to another villain and I delighted in annoying him whichever way I could. Answering your call was never about you. It was just about pissing off Tristan and making him feel insignificant."
"So why are you here now?"
"Because as much as I hate you guys, the children are innocent. They have nothing to do with whatever feud is between you and I. So I can set aside my problems. We don't have to talk about my past with you. As long as I'm here, helping with your babies, I'm going to keep my anger in check. I won't be the girl you guys screwed over. I'll pretend we don't have a past, as long as you do the same. Deal?"
"Deal." Caroline said. "But, I just need you to know, I'm sorry. For hurting you." I nodded, keeping my face blank.
"You might want to get some sleep now."
"Um, where are you guys going to stay?"
"The mansion my brother built still stands. Lia and I will take up residence there, but we'll be keeping an eye on you, so don't worry."
"How?"
"Lia created this spell- sort of an alert. In case something bad happens, to you or the babies."
"Right. Um, thanks."
"Your welcome."
"I thought her name was Aria."
"It's a long story."
"Well then, you should get some sleep." Lia waved. "Bye."
"Bye." Caroline said and I nodded and we both disappeared.