52

Days passed, and Klaus seemed to get more angry at whatever was around.
"Your dad needs to calm down." Amity told Hope and the little girl clapped her hands, cooing. "The supernatural world just needs a... reminder that he is still linked to his sire line. We'll get other witches to analyse his blood and they can see for themselves."
"It's not that easy." Klaus said as he sped to the doorway. "It won't be easy for people to believe the sire link could have so easily been restored if they haven't witnessed a demonstration of you and your siblings' power."
"So I'll demonstrate it."
"And put a target on your back?" Amira joined Klaus.
"Or Lia will. We'll figure it out. Just take a break. Relax. Rest. Spend time with your daughter." Amity sighed.
"I can't just... relax."
"Well tough. You're looking after Izzy and Hope."
"What about you?"
"I'm going to take Hayley, Amira and Freya out. Perhaps that'll force you to stop being so tense."
"Amity..."
"If Izzy gets thirsty he'll probably disappear. Don't panic, he's probably just coming to us or he's with his father."
"I can't-"
"You've looked after them before, Nik."
"With you or Hayley in the house."
"You're her father and his uncle. If Izzy gets to be too much, just tell him to go to his father. You can at least look after your daughter."
"Amity."
"No, Nik! Enough is enough. I'm tired of you being so angry, and you will not have violence in the house around your daughter and my son." Amity sighed. "Look, I can't take any more of you being so angry, so if forcing you to look after the kids on your own for the day is what it'll take, then that's what I'll do."
"I do not need to be handled."
"History suggests otherwise." Amity walked out, leaving Klaus in the nursery alone. She walked over to Hayley's room where she found the other woman putting on her jacket.
"Hi." Hayley said, pulling her hair from under her shirt.
"Hi. Are you okay?"
"Yes, I'm fine."
"You don't have to lie to me." Amity grabbed her arm and sat her on the bed, sitting beside her.
"I'm okay, Amity."
"Right. So you're not thinking about Jackson and about a million ways things could've been different?" Hayley looked at her.
"I just- he didn't-" she broke off, unable to finish her thoughts.
"It might've been a thousand years ago, but I remember what I was like when I first lost Abraham."
"Don't you mean what you're still like?"
"I've actually come a long way from what I used to be like." She laughed humourlessly. "I remember I blamed myself at first. If only I hadn't trusted my mother- if only I'd declined a dinner with my family. If only Henrik hadn't died. A lot of things that could've changed. Circumstances, my choices. It was screwed up, I know, but it was bad. I couldn't bear the thought that I lived."
"How did you get through it?"
"I guess it helped that Esther was dead, and that I was surrounded by my family. Mikael wasn't anywhere near us. I was still a mess, but I also had Finn. He stuck by my side all the time. He wouldn't leave me, no matter how annoyed I got. It was suffocating sometimes, but eventually I realised there was a point to it. The more time I spent annoyed at him, the less time I'd have to wallow in my grief. And piece by piece I built myself up. Eventually Finn decided I could be left alone. And it always hurt, it always will Hayley. It won't get better, but it will get easier."
"Thank you."
"So, whatever you need to do today? Go ahead, do it. Get it out of your system, because after that, I'm gonna help you and show you exactly what it's like having a sister." Hayley smiled and nodded, giving Amity a hug. "And don't worry about Hope. Nik's looking after the kids today."
"How is that not cause to worry?" She teased, and Amity laughed.
"If you need anything, call me." She nodded and Amity stood, walking out. The original walked out to Freya's room next, to find Amira stood beside her. She looked curiously between the women but shrugged.
"We're ready to go." Amira said and marched out. Amity looked at her granddaughter curiously again but followed after her, Freya right behind.

Amira took lead, walking the sisters down the familiar streets.
"No Hayley?" She started and Amity shook her head.
"No, she just needed to be alone for a little while." Amira quickly sped forward and grabbed Amity's phone, before the latter could react. "What are you doing?" Amity asked, lazily. Not bothering to argue against Amira or get back her phone, she simply continued walking.
"Texting Isaac."
"You have his number. Use your own phone."
"That wouldn't work." Amira continued, not trying to hide her intentions. "I'm pretending to be you."
"Why?"
"To ask him out for you." This time Amity did lunge for her phone though Amira darted out of reach.
"Amira-"
"Well you did say you'd give it another shot, after we got over the Strix trying to break the sire links."
"Yes, but if I'm asking him out, I want to do it on my terms." She finally managed to successfully take back her phone.
"So you are going to ask him out?" Freya asked.
"Yeah, I think I will." Amira nudged Amity's side. "What?"
"There's no time like the present."
"What part of my own terms don't you understand?"
"Oh, come on." Amira huffed. She looked up and gestured at a bench up ahead. "Oh, hey, look. It's Isaac."
"Amira-"
"Aunt Freya and I need to go loosen up, so we'll meet you at the house." Amira shrugged and pulled Freya away. Smiling, Amity walked forwards to join Isaac on the bench.
"Is this seat taken?" She asked and he looked up.
"I'm supposed to be saving it for you."
"Why do you always go along with Amira's schemes?"
"I like seeing you." He answered honestly and she laughed.
"I like seeing you too." She replied. "So, have you any plans tonight?"
"No."
"Well, I figure I should probably explain Mal and Lia to you, though it is kind of a long story. Maybe over dinner?"
"I know just the place."
"Great."
"I'll pick you up at six?"
"Um, or we can meet at our corner."
"Our corner?" He asked.
"I mean-"
"No no." He cut her off. "I like it."
"Our corner it is, then."
"Perfect." He gazed at her.
"My brother's alive." She said.
"Which one?" He countered.
"Kol."
"That's great!"
"His girlfriend brought him back. My siblings don't know yet."
"Why not?"
"Davina wants to wait until he wakes up, first. He's still healing... from being ashes for so long."
"That's good news, though. You're soon to get back your brother, right? I'd say that's cause to celebrate."
"I suppose." She shrugged, and stood. "See you at six?"
"Six." He confirmed and she walked away.