45

Caroline did keep trying, but she just couldn't keep the tea down. After a while, Amity groaned, and set down the empty cup.
"I'm sorry." Caroline said and Amity shook her head.
"This isn't your fault. It's me." Amity said, before closing her eyes. She whistled the same time she'd hummed the last time she was calling Mal to her. He appeared groaning.
"Seriously, I have a phone, and you have a phone. Be more humane, Zee and call me like a normal person."
"I don't have your number." Amity said, simply.
"What do you want?"
"I need to feed Caroline some red berry tea. From... your birthplace." Mal looked at her curiously. He looked at a sickly-looking Caroline.
"Pregnant vampire? That's what... the third impossible pregnancy in as many years? You're quite the trendsetter."
"Will you help?"
"What do I get out of it?"
"The rewarding feeling that comes with helping another?"
"I'm not Lia. Besides, we're in Mystic Falls. Isn't this the town that screwed you over?"
"How do you even know about that?"
"Oh, please. I've been back for a year. Did you expect me not to know by now?"
"Good point. We'll talk about your stalker tendencies later. Just help, would you?"
"I don't help. You know that. I prefer to watch the mayhem unfold."
"Mal, innocent babies."
"Evil mother."
"Do it for me?"
"Again- not Lia." He pointed at himself. "It won't work."
"Innocent children. Say what you will, Mal, but you've never been one to harm children."
"I'm not harming. I'm just not helping."
"Malum!"
"Zia!"
"Do this and I'll overlook you attempting to manipulate me."
"When did I try to manipulate you?"
"Just yesterday. When we were walking. Using Isaac..."
"Fine." He rolled his eyes, and walked towards the them, waving his hand over the mug, refilling it. Amity moved to let him take her space and he sat on the edge of Caroline's bed. She looked at Amity hesitantly and Amity nodded comfortingly. Caroline took a sip, almost heaving. Mal tapped her forehead, stopping her. Caroline swallowed the tea without much fuss and took another tentative sip. She finished drinking it and looked up at Mal.
"What did you do?"
"Is that all? Can I go now?"
"Go." Amity rolled her eyes. Mal disappeared and Amity stepped forward again, paying no mind to the struggling Stefan still pressed against the wall. Amity put her hand on Caroline's head and closed her eyes. "Mal probably won't help a second time. That cup you just had will probably only last you a day or two, at most."
"So what are you saying?"
"Time for the babies to be born."
"What? No. They're not ready."
"They are, Caroline. And if they don't come out, they'll kill you."
"Are you sure?"
"Trust me."
"Okay."
"Go to the hospital. I'll just go tie up a few things and meet you there soon. Oh, and Stefan cannot be in the hospital room. He can be in the hospital, but his presence isn't crucial to the twins' survival." Amity said and disappeared, finally releasing her hold on Stefan.
"She's different. Stronger." Stefan frowned.
"Amity's always been strong. She's an original vampire and a witch."
"Disappearing into thin air? Conjuring tea out of nothing? That's not ordinary witchcraft."
"It's Amity, Stefan. What's ordinary about her?"
"I know she's stronger than any normal witch, but there's just something different about her magic as opposed to last year."
"Even if there is, it's none of our business. She's only helping because of the twins. Not for us."
"I know you feel guilty for what happened when Amity was here, but it was not your fault. She was just... innocent with a crappy family-"
"No- don't do that. Don't blame her family. It wasn't her family who hurt her." Caroline cut him off. "It was us."
"We were just trying to keep ourselves safe."
"Okay, I've just been told that I have to give birth by tomorrow as a deadline or I'll die and the twins along with me. If I were you Stefan, I would not argue with me. We screwed over Amity. End of story. No excuses, no justifications." Stefan nodded.
"You're right. We did." He said. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't blame her family."
"Thank you." Stefan smiled at her and picked up an overnight bag before holding his hand out to her. Caroline smiled at him and took it, allowing him to lead her to the car.

Meanwhile Amity went to check on the babies. They were at the apartment with Amira.
"Hey." Amity smiles at her granddaughter.
"Hi, grandma." Amira grinned.
"How are you?"
"I'm fine. And so are the kids. Izzy went to grandpa for a little while earlier."
"Right."
"How goes Mystic Falls?"
"Caroline needs to give birth. If she doesn't, she could die."
"Oh god."
"Yeah."
"So, you're going back?"
"Yes. She's stable for now, but she won't be for long. Can you babysit till tomorrow?"
"Yeah, of course. Just keep safe. Is there anything you need?"
"I'll be fine."
"On your own?"
"Well, I made it clear to Caroline that Stefan doesn't get to be in her hospital room while I'm there. I can handle her and Alaric." Amira looked troubled. "And I'll ask Lia to come with me."
"Okay, good. I don't like the idea of you being on your own there."
"Remind me, which one of us is the grandparent again?" Amira giggled.