Basement Shadow

Daryl and I have been back at Hilltop for almost a week. It has been weird. Maggie and Sasha have allowed me to stay here, but I can clearly see that they don't want me here. If I didn't know any better, I think Daryl may have talked them into allowing me here. So I just avoid Maggie and Sasha and basically all of Hilltop. A part of me really wonders if I made a mistake coming here. If I made a mistake even leaving Dwight's house. A really big part of me wants to go back and just wait for him. I'm sure by this point though, he's already been back to the house and got my letter.

           Maggie has been allowing me to stay in one of the trailers here at Hilltop. I didn't have very much, but it was nice to be alone and sleep alone with a locked door. It was in the early hours of morning and people were just waking up and getting to work on whatever it is that they do. I opened the door to the trailer and saw Daryl sitting on a table outside, sharpening his knives. I looked around and sigh. I miss Dwight. I miss everything about him. I wonder if he is dead. Did Negan find out? Did Sherry rat on me and Dwight? Those are the questions I have running in my head.

          I took a deep breath and decided that I needed to stop asking myself those questions. I started walking towards Daryl when one of the Hilltop residents hollered at everyone. "The Saviors are coming!" My eyes got wide and I looked at Daryl and I could see that he was also worried. I ran to him and saw Enid also running towards him. "We have to get Maggie and you two somewhere safe." Enid said to us. I looked at her and my heart was beating a hundred miles a minute. "Where is she?" Daryl asks Enid. There obviously isn't any time, so Enid just motions for us to hurry. Daryl and I both start running with her.

          We had finally caught up with Maggie. "We'll never make it in time." Maggie states. I knew what she was talking about. The secret door to the other side of the community. Enid had told me about it. "Then where do we go?" I ask her. She looks at me and I don't think she knew a place. "I know a place." Enid says. We all start running with Enid again.

          We get to the basement under the main building. "Just stay down there. I'll keep 'em away. They aren't the same ones who came to Alexandria." Enid says to Maggie, Daryl and I. We start going down into the basement and I could hear Enid slamming the doors above us shut. Once we all three enter, Daryl closes the main door in the basement and Maggie moves a shelf so that we three can move into the back wall to not be seen.

          Maggie squeezes into the hole basically and I look back at Daryl, who is just keeping watch at the door. "Daryl. I whisper to him. He ignores me. So I repeat myself twice. With the last one with a sharp tone at the end of it. "Daryl. Daryl." He closes the door the rest of the way and follows me into the back to hide with Maggie.

           Once we were all in, Daryl pulled the shelf back to make it seem like no one way done here. It was sort of a tight squeeze, but we were all okay with it, as long as the Saviors don't see us. We could hear Enid outside trying to bargain the Savior with cuteness. She was trying her best to keep him from entering the basement. I closed my eyes and hoped this wouldn't get her killed. Saviors are unpredictable. I could hear the Savior telling Enid to pick up something. I assume she was about to until I heard another Savior. "Hey, you pick it up. Leave her alone. She was trying to be nice and you want to be a dick. Pick it up and take it to the truck. I'll check the basement for shit." I hear the other Savior say. I knew it was a Savior because no one here would have the balls to stand up to the Saviors.

          When the door opened to the basement. Maggie, Daryl and I all got geared up to kill the Savior that decided to come down. But only if he sees us. We don't want the Saviors to know we are here. When the Savior entered, I couldn't see his face because of the sunlight outside. All I could see was a black figure. I watch as the Savior picks up an apple basket and lays it in front of the door. I kept my breath steady. Not wanting the Savior to hear me. I was surprised he couldn't hear my heart beating against my chest.