Hope Vanishes

**DWIGHT'S POV**

           There was a knock on my door. I get up from my table and let out a breath. I open the door and come face to face with Negan with Lucille. "Dwighty boy. We doing this or what?" Negan asks me. I nod my head at him. I walk out of the door and start walking down the halls with Negan. My mind keeps going back to Jasmine. I can't stop thinking about her. I can't stop thinking about how quick this fight will be over and I can have my life back.

          "So... I got to be honest, D. I really didn't expect you to tell me this. I would have thought you would go along with Simon's plan. Why didn't you?" Negan asks me. I look over at him and shake my head. "You'd win. He wouldn't. I'm not going to side with the losing side when I know who the winning side is" I said to Negan. Negan gave me that sadistic smile he always has on his face. He throws his hand up and it lands on my shoulder. Negan gives me a hard squeeze on the shoulder and sighs. "Always nice to have you by my side, Dwighty boy." Negan said to me. I nodded my head at him and we continued down the halls.

          Negan and I finally made it out to the courtyard. "I'm gonna be behind this dumpster. You just give me the sign when it's time." Negan says to me. I nod my head at him and watch as he ducks behind the dumpster. I hate that I'm helping him, but I also know that Simon won't win this.

          My ears perk up when I hear the doors open. I look up and see Simon with a few others I recognize. "Hey." Gary says to me. I sigh and nod my head. "Hey." Gary looks around and then back to me. "Some shit, huh?" Gary says. I slowly nod my head. Hoping no one notices my plan here. "Yeah." I say to Gary. Gary finally walks up beside me and looks me in the eyes. "Got to think, uh... you wanted this before we did." Gary says. I look away from him and down to the ground. I see a pair of boots appear at my feet and I know it's Simon. I look up and see Simon looking at me with clear determination in his eyes.

          Simon looks around at everyone and my eyes follow him. "If you're here right now, you're in. We can talk about approaches and finesses, but you are in." Simon tells everyone. I turn my head towards the dumpster and see Negan looking at me. He still has the same sadistic smile on his face. "No take backs. We need to make this quick, quiet, and respectful. Man's done a lot for us. He deserves that." Simon says. With Simon talking about this, the growling from the walkers behind me and Negan beside me waiting for the sign, my heart is beating a thousand miles a second.

          I look back at Simon and see him pointing at me. "You... have some legitimate personal issues with the man. The kill is yours if you want it. Something quiet. I mean, not a knife." Simon says to me with a chuckle. I let out a sigh because Simon has no idea how much I want to kill Negan. No idea. "Can't make it that personal. A silencer." Simon says to me. I nod my head at him.

          Simon stares at me for a few more moments, before looking at everyone else. "We call a meeting. And that's it. The next order of business is to set the break, to start the healing. The catalyzing event to facilitate that is the destruction of the Hilltop and its residents. We'll make it a monument of compliance. Sorry, Gregory." Simon says to the group and to Gregory. I look over at Gregory and see his face. If the situation wasn't so bad, I honestly probably would have laughed. His face is just priceless.

          "And then... we get on with our lives." Simon says, standing in front of me. I look up at him. "Right, Dwight?" Simon asks me. I look up at him and I knew this was the moment. The moment I would destroy this man's life. Probably even end it by the hands of Negan. I took a deep breath and let out that whistle. Negan slowly stands up and reveals himself to the group Simon had recruited to kill him. I feel Negan slap his hand against my back. "Thank you, D. I'll take it from here." Negan says to me. I look up at Simon and see the hurt of betrayal in them. Simon isn't my friend by any means, but doesn't matter. I still feel like shit for doing this to him.