Sign With a Heart

"Come on, Maggie. Just a couple of more pushes and the baby will be here." Enid says to Maggie. Maggie squeezes my hand harder as she pushes and though it felt like she was about to crush my hand into little pieces, I didn't care as long as she and the baby were okay in the end. I looked down at Maggie and saw the sweat building up on her face and I can see the pain in her face and body. "You got this Maggie." I say to Maggie. Maggie looks up at me and smiles.

          "I can't wait until the roles are reversed." Maggie says to me. I chuckle at her and look back down to Enid and see her smiles. "Give me one more big push." Enid says to Maggie. Maggie tightens are hand around mine before pushing. I could feel the strength flowing through her and it made me smile. "There you go, Maggie. There you go." Enid kept repeating. Then all the sudden, the room got silent except for the sound of a screaming baby. I watch as Enid puts the baby in her arms.

           "Maggie who do you want to cut the cord?" Enid asks Maggie. I look up at Maggie and see her looking at me with a smile on her face. I smile at her before getting up and grabbing a pair of sterile scissors and cutting the cord. Enid cleans the baby and hands it to Maggie. "It's a boy." Enid says. I smile at the baby. Maggie brings the baby into her arms and starts to cry. Maggie kisses and hugs him like her life depended on it. "What's his name?" I ask Maggie. Maggie turns her head and looks at me. "Well... for the last few months I've had two names in mind. One for a girl and one for a boy and since he is a boy... everyone... meet Hershel Rhee." Maggie announces to us all.

          I smile big at the name and look back down at the baby. "Hey Hershel." I say. "Jasmine... how about we give Maggie and Hershel some time alone." Enid says to me. I nod my head and walk out of Maggie's room, but Maggie clears her throat. "Jasmine can you get word to everyone else. Alexandria and The Kingdom?" Maggie asks me. I nod my head at her as I leave the room. Enid closes the door behind her before walking off to clean herself up. I walk down the stairs and see a bunch of people waiting for the news. I smile at all of them. "She had a boy. Everyone is fine." I announce. I see a bunch of people smiling and some praying.

          I look over and spot Dwight who has a smile on his face. I walk over to him and wrap my arms around his waist. "He is so cute, Dwight." I say to him. He leans down and gives me a quick kiss on the lips. I look up into his eyes and smile. "Well... Maggie and the baby need some alone time. And it's getting a little bit warmer outside. You wanna come with me to tell Alexandria and Kingdom about baby Hershel. Maggie asked me to." I say to Dwight. Dwight smiles down at me. "You mean you want to me to spend a few days with you?" I squint my eyes at Dwight. He chuckles at me and nods his head. "Of course I'll go with you." I smile at him before pulling out of the hug.

          "Well, let's go pack up our stuff. Get some clothes and other essentials ready." I say to Dwight before heading out of the house and towards our trailer to get ready.

          After Dwight and I got ready, we headed at to the part of the community where we keep our horses. With gas being scarce, we've had to reply on horses and donkeys more than cars. Wanting to save as much gas as possible. I jumped strapped my bags to the horse before jumping on. This horse is my favorite. It's solid black and friendly. Dwight jumps on another horse before we both exit the gate.

          After a few hours, it started to get dark. The ride to Alexandria is roughly a day now that we don't use cars like we used to.

          "Let's ride for another hour than start to look for a place to settle down in for the night. Don't want to be out too late." Dwight says to me. "All right." I say to Dwight. I keep my head up and my eyes open. Making sure that nothing comes near Dwight or I. "Hershel was her father's name?" Dwight asks me. I look over at him and smile. "Yeah. He was a good man. He was honest, kind and most importantly he had the heart of someone who was pure. When you felt down, he would be right there. Letting you know that you matter. He was a forgiving man. He more than likely would have brought you under his wing." I say to Dwight with a smile on my face.