The Night

"I know buddy. I miss mommy, too." I say to Cole as he cries in my arms. 

           I hear a knock on the front door and I let out a little sigh. Maybe someone can help me for a bit.

          I walk to the door and open it. I smile when I notice Michonne. "Oh, thank you. Please help me." I say as I hand Cole off to her. Michonne chuckles as I place Cole in her arms.

          Michonne walks into the house and I shut the door behind her. Cole still being fussy. 

          "What's wrong with him?" I ask Michonne. Michonne looks at me and chuckles. "It could literally be a million things. You try feeding him?" Michonne asks me. I nod my head at her. "You burp him?" I nod again. Michonne turns away from me and turns Cole around so he is looking up at her from her arms. 

           "What's wrong little man? You missing mommy?" Michonne asks Cole. I look down at my son and sigh. "I feel like I'm doing something wrong." I say to her as I sit down on the kitchen chair. Michonne follows and sits opposite of me. 

           "You're doing fine, Dwight. Baby's cry. Sometimes they cry because it gives them attention. Doesn't mean you're messing up or failing. Just means you have a little human with a beating heart." Michonne says to me. I smile at her and watch as Cole twists and turns in her arms. 

          I gently grabbed Cole's hand and chuckled when he gave it a light squeeze. "When I watch Jasmine be a mother... I fall in love with her all over again. And I didn't think that was possible." I say. I look at Michonne and see her smiling at me. "I lost her years before this all happened." I say referring to the world turning dark. "To find her all these years and to start a life with her... it's really the best feeling in the world. I'm not sure what I would do if anything was to happen to her." I say. 

           Michonne takes a hold of my hand and gives me a small smile. "Dwight... losing her would take a piece of you away and it would never come back... but... you have Cole. Your child. Jasmine's child. You're stronger than you think. It would be rough, but you'd get through it. You'd be just fine. Especially with Cole." Michonne says to me. I look down in slight embarrassment.

           A part of me wants to believe her and the other part wants to never think about life without Jasmine.

          I watched as Michonne touched her stomach. Which reminded me of the conversation Jasmine and I had. We have had been speculating Michonne's pregnancy. They haven't said anything, but sometimes in a certain angle you can tell she's rounder. 

          "I don't mean to pry or get into your business... but... you ready?" I ask Michonne. Michonne looks at me with a confused look and when she notices my finger pointing at her stomach, her eyes get a little big and she lets out a nervous chuckle. 

            "Um... yeah. I mean, I had a kid. Before this." Michonne says to me. I can hear the sadness in her voice. I decide to keep my mouth shut and not say anything. "You would have adored him. He was funny and had just one of the best smiles in the world." Michonne says with a huge smile.

             "Can you promise me something?" I ask Michonne. Michonne looks into my eyes and nods her head. "If Jas and I are both... gone. Will you promise me that you'll look after Cole?" I ask. Michonne drops her smile and looks at me with sadness. 

           "Dwight..." I put my hand up and smile at her. "You are wonderful with Judith. And Jasmine has told me how you were with Carl. I trust you and I trust Rick. Promise me, please." I beg Michonne without sounding like I was begging.