Unexpected Surprises

The day has finally come. Dwight and the others will be leaving to the compound.

          I walked in front of the mirror in our trailer and put my hands on my stomach and gently rubbed my hands against it. "Hey, baby. I know this is scary... but Daddy and Mommy are gonna be okay and we are going to keep you safe. I promise you." I say to my lightly swollen stomach. I lift my head up and look in the mirror. "I promise." I say in a much lower voice.

          I guess I was too caught up in my thoughts, that I didn't hear the door to our trailer open and close. I feel a pair of hands wrap around my torso and I jump. I quickly settle my heart down when I see Dwight in the mirror. "Hey." I say to him. Dwight puts his head against mine and smiles at me in the mirror. "Hey back." Dwight says to me.

          Dwight's hands travel down to my stomach and rubs in a circular motion. All of the sudden my smile left me and I looked down at my stomach. "Hey... what's wrong?" Dwight asks me. I shake my head and take a deep breath. "Nothing. Nothing for you to worry about." I say to him. I turn around and look up into his eyes. "When do you leave?" I ask him. Dwight lets out a sigh. "A few minutes, actually. Rick and the others are almost here. Hilltoppers are getting ready." Dwight says to me.

          I look up into his eyes and the second my eyes land on those blue eyes, I let out a sob. Dwight puts both his hands on my face and makes me look at him. "Baby... if you're scared about today, don't be. All right?" Dwight says to me. I shake my head at him and scoff. "Don't worry? Seriously, Dwight? If the roles were reversed would you be okay with me telling you 'Don't be scared', because if so, then I'll stop worrying." I say to Dwight.

          Dwight leans down and brings his lips to mine. I was caught off guard, but quickly get over it and move in sync with him. I bring my hands up to his face and moan into the kiss.

           Dwight pulls his lips away from mine. We both open our eyes and look into each other's. "You are going to be fine. I am going to be fine. And most importantly... our baby is going to be fine." Dwight says to me as he puts his right hand on my stomach. "Now... you are going to stay here and keep this place safe. Keep our baby safe. Now give me another kiss before I take off." Dwight says to me.

           I smile up at Dwight before leaning up and bringing my lips to his. Us both enjoying this moment. Especially since this could very well be our last moment together.

          I pull away from the kiss and lightly push his chest. "Well, you better get going so you can get back here and be with me and your baby." I say to Dwight. Dwight gives me a smile and turns around to walk out. My eyes follow him to the door. Dwight turns the handle and goes to walk out, but stops himself. I hear Dwight clear his throat. He let's go of the handle and turns back around towards me. I raise my eyebrows at him and give him a smile.

           "Dwight?" I ask him. Dwight walks over to me and grabs my hands. He gives my hands a slight squeeze and looks into my eyes. "You know I love you, right?" Dwight asks me. I give him a confused look and nod my head. All of the sudden, I watch as he lowers himself onto one knee. My eyes go wide and I feel the air leave my body.

          "Dwight? What are you doing?" I ask him. Dwight looks up into my eyes and smiles at me.
"Jasmine Tess Grant, will you do me the honor of marrying me?" Dwight asks me. I look into his eyes and I let out a breath I didn't realize was still in my lungs. I gently drop down to my knees and look into his eyes on eye-level. "I know I don't have a ring and I know that I didn't plan something awesome and beautiful... but I want to marry you." Dwight states to me. I wipe the tears that had fell onto my cheeks.