rainy days

I kept my Walkman playing some music as i walked throughout Central Park, one of my favourite places in New York. even though the weather wasn't the best, due to the rain it didn't stop me from going on my daily walk.

after about 45 minutes of walking through the park i found a dry area to sit down on and read a book i recently borrowed from the library. it was quiet and peaceful, just how i like it.

as i just finished the 3rd act (because the book was a play) i heard some yelling and someone or something running towards me. as i looked up i saw the most adorable golden retriever puppy running in my direction.

i put my book into my bag as the puppy jumped into my lap. i petted the little guy for a few seconds until i heard someone panting in front of me. i looked up and saw a boy around my age with blonde hair just above his shoulders, blue eyes, slightly tanned skin, a very light blue t shirt, a black jacket, some black jeans and some white converse with some stains on them.

"i'm so sorry about that. i just got him yesterday, i guess you could say i'm a bit new at this" he said chucking at the end.

i chuckled with him and handed him his dog back.

"what's his/her name?" i said standing up from your position on the ground.

"it's a boy and his name is jack, he's a month old" he said petting him sweetly.

"what's your name mr. dog owner"

"my name is river phoenix, and yours miss romeo & juliet" he said smirking, knowing the book you were reading.

"my name is y/n y/l/n, nice to meet you" i said smiling sweetly at him.

"your name is beautiful, just like you" he mumbled the last part but i definitely heard it.

he put the leash back on jack and was about to say goodbye. we both were starting to get soaked due to the increase of rain. before he could leave i made a wild decision and grabbed his hand, instantly feeling butterflies in my stomach.

"hey um... do you wanna get some coffee or something? i know a really cool bookstore & record store too. you in?" i said, really hoping he wouldn't decline my offer.

"you know what, lead the way miss y/l/n" he said holding his left arm out for you clutch onto, while he was holding jacks leash in the other.

we both smiled at each-other for a couple seconds and then started walking to the small cafe i have adored ever since i moved here.

for the rest of the rainy day we messed around at the music store, bought some books, dropped jack at one of his friends apartments and i learned more about river. i learned that he was vegan, his music tastes, how he has been an actor for a while, his band, his family, his favourite book and his love for the environment.

he walked with me to my apartment at around 8:00pm. we exchanged numbers and then we said goodbye.

"i had a really fun day with you today y/n" he said fidgeting with his fingers a bit.

"me too, we should do it again sometime." i said meaning every word.

"hey, uh how about you come to my apartment on saturday if your not busy with your classes? i can show some cool vegan recipes, play with some of my instruments, you can play with jack a bit and we could watch a movie?" he said looking into my eyes hopefully while grabbing left hand.

"yeah, i'd like that a lot. it's a date." i said smiling more than ever.

he looked up at me surprised that i said 'date'. i was about to apologize but he cut me off.

"yeah, it's a date. see you then y/n" he said walking away, slowly letting go of my hand.

"see you then" i whispered, smiling at the back of his figure as he left the hallway over to the elevator.