paper balls

You stood by your window, distracted by the cute boy across the street. you recently got a new neighbour, he seems really nice. it's currently the first week of July, the first week since you ended your sophomore year.

this summer your family didn't have anything planned, so you were staying in town. you wish you had the courage to go to his house and ask him if you could hangout, but you were scared shitless.

you were never good with making friends, so you didn't know how to properly start a conversation with someone you've never met before. it wasn't a good trait to have due to you being lonely most of the time.

you decided to read the book you have to read for your english course this coming school year. it's called Siddhartha by Herman Hesse, it wasn't too bad, you enjoy it so far.

as you were at your desk reading, your window was open all the way. you suddenly felt a ball or something hit you. you looked up and you saw a paper ball in front of you.

you opened it up and read it.

nice book, i was named after it

you looked up and saw the cute boy smiling at you. you wrote on a piece of paper 'so your name is siddhartha?'

you threw it at his window and he caught it. he read it and shook his head, wrote something down and threw it back.

no, i'm names after the river in the book 'River' silly

you chuckled and write down what your name was, and complimented his.

for the rest of summer, everyday you and river would communicate through paper balls. until the last day of summer he surprised you.

you heard a knock at your door, you went to open it and saw river with a paper ball.

wanna go to the movies with me?

you smiled at him and wrote 'yes', handing the ball back to him. he opened it and smiled. he held out his hand.

"well miss. y/n, we better get in our way" he said, his voice as soft as your pillow. this was the first time you both have ever heard each-others voices.

"take me away phoenix" you said, taking his hand in yours.

you both walked hand in hand to town, holding each-others hand the entire night.