panic attack

summary: you have a panic attack after you find out about your mom's passing & river helps you through it

warnings: could be a trigger so please be careful while reading, swears & drinking (legal age tho!)

this was requested by dingerc0rey

Tonight you were out with river & a couple of your friends from your friend group. you all went out to eat at a local restaurant & decided to head to a bar to have a few drinks. it was going great.

you were with your friends: landon, bailey & harper. you all sat at a booth in the bar in the middle of the room, drinking beers or wine since no one wanted to get anything expensive. river wasn't much a drinker, so he had a water & you were lightly sipping your red wine.

"... then there was a huge bang coming from harper's room & you wanna know what got in? a group of raccoons! & they tore up her clothes & her bedsheets. it was hilarious to see the look on her face!" bailey said laughing as harper nudged her shoulder, rolling her eyes.

river & landon were laughing along to the story while you gave harper a pat on her shoulder in a joking way.

"poor harper" landon said while laughing, cussing harper to slap his arm.

"stop laughing, it's funny dipshit! if it happened to you, you wouldn't be so thrilled about it" harper said with a pout, the group giggling silently at her reaction.

as you were about to say something your phone started ringing, so you got it out of your pocket & looked at the contact. it said it was the hospital so you quickly got up from the booth & excused yourself from the table, walking outside through the front door of the bar.

"um hello?" you asked, leaning your back against the brick wall of the bar, cars & people passing by.

"hello, this is isabelle from sherwood medical hospital. your mother is y/m/n y/l/n correct? your her daughter?" the lady asked, making you quirk a brow at the question.

"yes, that's correct. is there a problem with her or my records?" you asked confused, looking down at your shoes as you waited a response.

"both of your records are fine dear, this isn't about records. your mother, she passed away about a half hour ago. she had a stroke & the first responders weren't able to save her. i'm so sorry dear" the lady said, her voice sounding sad as she spoke.

you thought this was a joke, it had to be. you felt like you were being lied to, what she said didn't feel real at all.

"wait... what? she's, she's dead?" you asked, your eyes glossing over as you placed a hand on over your mouth, feeling like you couldn't breathe.

"yes. she didn't make it. i'm sorry for your loss" your mind went blank as she spoke those words.

you were so in shock you didn't realize you hand hung up. you felt like you couldn't move, like you were stuck on the wall. but you knew that you needed to get home, you couldn't stay here any longer. so you quickly went back inside & walked over to river & your friends.

"hey, what's wrong?" landon asked as you grabbed your purse & pulled out a $15 bill for your wine to cover the cost.

"i just, i need to go. it's late & i really need to get home, please" you said as you looked at river, who started to get up from his seat.