forever, always

Staring at the sunrise, you pulled your blanket closer around your shoulders as you felt the cool morning breeze against your skin. you admired the oranges & pinks that flooded the sky until you heard your name being called from your bedroom.

"babe, where'd you go?" you heard your husband mumble, pulling a sweater over his bare chest, rubbing his eyes.

"i'm just at the window love" you said, looking at him from down the hallway.

"why'd you get up so early, you okay?" he asked, wrapping his arms around you lazily.

"i'm okay, it's just... today is that day" you said, biting your lip.

"i remember dear, i remember" he pulled away from the hug to look at your face, seeing tears fall from your eyes, your lips starting to tremble.

he pulled you to his chest once more, rubbing your back & whispering "it's okay, let it out love" multiple times as you gripped on his torso, letting your emotions out as you thought about him.

"i'm sorry, it's just-" you said.

"hey, i understand baby. i know how much he meant to you y/n, it's okay. i told you from the start i'd be here for you no matter what. that includes this" he grabbed your face & held it in his hands, rubbing the pads of his fingers under your eyes to wipe the tears away.

"your not mad?" you asked surprised.

"no y/n, i'm not mad. i could never be mad at you for missing someone who was a big part of your life. i know that meant a lot to you. just know that he's in a better place now huh?" he said, turning you around towards the window to a random cloud & pointing to it.

"he's up there, right now. he's probably so proud of you, i bet he misses you too. maybe he's happier to be with his dad up there huh? he's not in pain anymore right love?" he looked down at you.

"yeah, he's okay now. he's okay" you said, imagining seeing him waving to you from the sky.

"do you want to head back to bed for a bit love, we can watch something on the tv if you want to make you feel better" he whispered to you, kissing your head as he held you.

"yeah, i'm okay with that love" you said, your hands subconsciously playing with his.

"i'm just gonna use the bathroom quickly okay baby?" he said.

"i'll meet you there" you gave him a quick kiss, smiling at him as he closed the bathroom door.

you turned your attention back to the window, slightly smiling at the sky. closing your eyes, you pictured him smiling with his guitar late at night, playing random songs on the strings to you. you pictured every moment you shared with him, opening your eyes.

"i miss you river" you whispered, heading back to the bedroom.

"i miss you too y/n, forever always"

26 years without you, i miss you river. i hope your doing okay up there. i love you rio, stay happy for me <3