leaving

You sat on your bed, staring at the ceiling blankly. you felt a new type of sadness, a sadness you can't really fix.

river, your boyfriend of 8 months had to break up with you. he was moving away to los angles & florida for the rest of his career. it wasn't his choice, he didn't want to go but he had too.

you & river met one day at your grandparents house. he helped your grandma carry in some groceries one day, and you were glad he did.

you became good friends, seeing each other every weekend & when he wasn't too busy. one night when you both went swimming at the beach you fell head over heels for him.

he soon fell for you at your 19th birthday party, he always had feelings for you, but he ignored them until that night. so after everyone went home river helped you clean up.

as you were about to put some newly cleaned cups away in the cabinet, river called you over to him at the couch. he sat on the ledge, his back to the couch. you stood in front of him as he held onto your hands.

from that night you both were connected, soul & heart.

you sat up on your bed, wiping your tears. you washed your face and got changed into some shorts and one of his loose t-shirts. you looked at yourself in the mirror as he opened your bedroom door.

"hey" you whispered as you looked into his beautiful blue eyes.

he didn't say anything, he just went into your arms. he held onto you so tight, you soon felt some tears on your shoulder. your arms wrapped around his neck as you played with his hair.

"i don't want you to go" you whispered.

"i don't want to go either y/n" he whispered back.

you pulled away and put your hands on his cheeks, eyes turning red form the tears.

"i know that we um... broke up... but i still love you" you looked at him, seeing a sad smile on his face.

"i love you too, always" he said, looking into your eyes.

you pulled him towards your bed and handed him a small box.

"i want you to keep this, so you don't forget me" you said as he looked at the box.

"i'm not gonna forget you y/n-"

"please... just keep it, for me?" you watched him grab your hand and give it a squeeze.

he opened up the box and saw a bunch of photos, postcards, bracelets and a sea shell. he looked at you and smiled, his eyes becoming glossy. your eyes became glossy too.

you both just sat there, staring at each other, not wanting to say the 2 words you both dreaded.

you then heard your dad call out to river, saying his cabs here.

"you know i'm gonna miss you right?" he asked as he stood up and grabbed his bags.

"i'm gonna miss you too" you said, admiring his features once more.

"i'll see you again soon, i promise. i never break promises" he chuckled towards you.

"okay" you whispered.

you both walked downstairs, you walked him outside to the cab. before he could say anything else you pulled him into a large hug.

"thank you for everything. i'm so proud of you, i-i love you" you said as tears fell & rolled down your cheeks.

"don't cry my love, it's not a goodbye. it's a see you later okay? i'm not gonna leave your life for forever" he said holding your hands in his.

"see you later y/n"

"see you later riv"

you watched him put his bags in the trunk of the cab, but before he could leave he came back towards you. he pulled you close to him and kissed you with so much passion & love.

you wrapped your arms around his neck, after a few seconds he pulled away.

"take care of yourself, for me okay?" he said breathlessly.

you just nodded your head and let him out of your grasp. he walked back to the cab and got inside.

you watched the car drive away, him getting further and further from you. in the cab, river was silently crying.
you stood outside your front door sitting on the pavement for a good 1 and a half.

"he's really gone" you said, pulling out the picture you had of him.

river got on the plane, and as soon as he sat down he pulled out a picture of you from his pocket, looking at it the entire flight.