(16): Daddy Issues

"Daddy?" I answer the call, pleasantly surprised. It's not often the man communicates with me. He's too busy with his other family.

"Sweetie" The deep familiar voice answers. That's definitely him. I thought maybe it was my step-brother. He sometimes uses my dad's phone to call me "How have you been?"

"Fine?" It come out as more of a question.

"Good. I just called to ask if you received the money" He says.

Off course you did.

My dad thinks that sending me a lot of money will make up for all the time he doesn't spend with me. If my mom found out that he sends me so much, she would kill him. My dad helped me open another bank account which my mom doesn't know about.

He's a very wealthy Real Estate Agent who got remarried a few years ago after his divorce with my mom. Him and his wife have a 9 year old son- Christian. He's cute and so lovely, but I haven't seen him in such a long time.

"Oh, sorry, I haven't looked at my notifications yet but I probably did" I reply, still slightly shocked that he actually called "Thanks"

"How's senior year going?" He asks.

Seriously?

I roll my eyes even though I know he can't see me "Dad, I'm in college. And it's going well, I guess"

"Oh, right, I forgot. But I'm glad it's going well, princess" He mutters awkwardly. Liar "Listen, Chris misses you a lot. He's wondering when he can see you again"

I coo inwardly. The boy really likes me and I don't know why because I'm pretty sure his mom doesn't. She tries to hide it but I can see right through her. Everything just feels so forced and awkward between us. I don't like visiting their home much because of her even thought it's very nice there.

"Uhm, when can I come?" I ask "Did you speak to mom about it?"

I don't even know why I bother asking that question.

He stays quite for a while "I don't have to ask Lacey. I'm your dad, you can come whenever you want to."

Typical.

"Uhm okay, I'll look when I'm not busy then I'll call you back when I know" I reply looking at the ground "Say hi to him for me"

"Okay princess. Bye"

"Bye daddy" I mutter and then hang up the phone before kicking a lone stone that was laying on the pavement. I don't think he realizing how much it pains me that he doesn't even treat me like I'm important to him. It's been years now but it still hurts.

My mom and I never, as in never speak about him. But I guess that she realizes that any girl needs their dad because some holidays she sends me to my 'grandma's' (My dad's mother. They maintained a very good relationship even after everything) even thought she knows that my dad will end up picking me up from there and spending the holiday with his family.

My mom just pretends to not know. When I come back from the holidays, I don't even mention it but I know that she knows. She's never told me what exactly went down between them, and I think I was too young to remember. I just remember the fights but not what they were about.

"Okay I'm back" Kyle announces, slightly panting. I didn't even hear him jog his way back to where I was. He quickly went to go fetch something that he forgot in the house.

We're walking to campus from the apartment because he said his car went for repairs. I'm still paranoid about walking alone so he wasn't too hard on me when I asked to walk with him.