T w e n t y- s e v e n

Gray's POV

"Gray-sama!"

That voice... There's no mistaking it, it's Juvia.

She sounded scared. I bet she's even shaking right now. How did I find her? Why am I even here? I can't remember anything... My memory is all so fuzzy...

I'm on the ground. Why? What's happening? It's painful.

Juvia...

I'm shifting, aren't I? I can usually control this pain in the ass wolf inside of me but this time, I can't. It's way too powerful for me to handle. But why? I've spent so many years training just so I could tame this beast, I'm stronger now. But it overpowered me again. 

I don't want her to get hurt.

Snap out of it Gray! You're losing!

I hear a deep chuckle inside my mind.

Yes boy, you are... I told you to claim her before anyone else can. I've waited. I've waited for so long. If you're not gonna do it then I will. I'll kill anyone who gets in the way.

No... Stop.

Juvia... I need to save her...

"R-run... "

I managed to say before I was succumbed into oblivion.

(Flashback)

"AHHHHHHHHHHH STOP IT! IT HURTS! STOP!" I cried out in pain. The chains in my hands and feet rattling noisily from my desperate attempts to break free.

It's painful. All too painful. I want it to stop. Stop it please...

"Ugh. Thank God, I'm not in his position" I hear a feminine voice say.

"It's his first shift. Of course, it will be painful. All his bones will break"

My bones are breaking?

"Please... " I pleaded, tears streaming down my face "Please help me... It hurts... "

*crack*

"Please... "

*crack*

"Please, I'll do anything you want! Make it stop!"

*crack*

"Ack!" I vomited blood.

"Hey, that wasn't part of the plan was it?" I heard the female say.

"Shit! His body is too frail to handle the shift!"

"See? What did I tell you? You should've chosen another body! An older one?"

"Are you stupid?! Only the one who killed the dire wolf can inherit its powers!"

"I know that! Stop yelling at me! But he's a child! How can he possibly survive the process?!"

A metal door opened and another set of footsteps followed.

"Calm down you idiots. Here, inject this to him"

"What's this? Painkillers?"

"No, the boy is tough. It's usually hard to kill a beast such as a dire wolf but he still managed to—"

"Alright, alright so what the hell's your point?"

"I'm getting to it. It's a poison"