T h i r t y- o n e

Juvia's POV

I closed my eyes just like Gray-sama said but now I'm having second thoughts. I mean it's not like I don't trust him or anything but right now I could hear a light shuffle and something breaking.

Is he... Is he shifting?

"G-Gray-sama?" I called, gulping "Are you okay?"

No reply.

Juvia can feel a new presence inside the room, a presence of a beast. But a familiar one.

Juvia was right, Gray-sama did shift. But why?

I continued closing my eyes despite the urge on wanting to open them. Juvia may not make it obvious but what happened yesterday still scares me. I know it wasn't Gray-sama's fault but what if he lost control again? What would happen to me?

I'm not a fool. Despite my affections for him, Juvia knows that Gray-sama is dangerous.

I can feel the beast coming closer...

My eyes shut tighter and my hands curled into fists in an attempt to stop my body from trembling.

What is he doing? Is he gonna eat me? Hurt me? Kill me?

Why did I agree to this? Should I just open my eyes or try and fight him back?

A wave of panic rushed through my veins, making it harder for me to breathe.

Juvia.

I opened my eyes.

"Gray-sama? Was that you?" I asked.

Yes, I'm sorry for startling you. I wanted you to close your eyes because I thought it would help  you feel less scared.

"I-It's fine but why did you shift?"

I'm really sorry if I made you scared but I promise to heal your wounds for you.

"Heal them?" I raised a brow "Gray-sama, you can do—"

I immediately became startled when I felt a tongue lick the wounds in my back, making me flinch in pain.

At first I had no absolute idea what Gray-sama was doing but after a while the pain in my back was beginning to dissipate until it felt like the big scratch in my back never existed.

I heard another crackling of bones which made me assume Gray-sama must've shifted back. Juvia didn't turn around since I know he must be changing right now so instead, I just inserted my arms to the sleeves of my dress and pushed myself inside the clothing so that my back area will be the only part of my body exposed.

"You can turn around now"

At the end of his sentence, Juvia immediately turned around and hurried to the mirror then turned back again so that I can see the wounds in my back.

My eyes widened when I saw that there were no big scratches any more.

My skin was back to how it was before. No bleeding, no scars. No trace that a large wound was there.

"H-How did you do that?" I whispered, amazed.

He shrugged "I didn't know I could do it either" Gray-sama walked closer until he was standing directly in front of me.

I shifted uncomfortably.

Gray-sama was taller than me and my height only reached until his collar bone. He didn't bother zipping up his vest so his chiseled abs were in full display to my eyes.