010: Expectations

"Daddy... why is Mom so pale? Why isn't Mommy moving?"

"Mikasa, look away sweetheart! You don't need to see your mother's dead body!"

"What do you mean, 'dead body'? Mommy is alive, right?"

"No, princess. I'm afraid that she's—"

Mikasa awoke with a gasp. Beads of sweat trickled down her forehead as images of her mother's pale body flashed through her mind. Her long, ebony hair stuck to the sweat on her neck as Mikasa's breathing became labored.

She inhaled slowly, then exhaled with a shaky breath. The girl immediately leapt out of bed after that, careful not to wake her dog, and went to her kitchen.

She laid her head down on her kitchen island, letting her hair pan out onto the countertop. She let the coldness of the countertop cool her forehead down as she rested her head on it.

A head splitting headache irritated her as her PTSD continued to abuse her thoughts. Her train of thought was filled with memories of the night of when her mother had decided to OD.

She sat up quickly and got herself a glass of water before immediately chugging it down. She looked at her clock that hung on her wall and read the time.

2am.

Mikasa Ackerman knew that she needed a way to get rid of these horrid thoughts, but she couldn't think of a way to. She needed to speak with someone, anyone.

Her pills finished last week and she hasn't bothered to get anymore, despite Levi's nagging for her to purchase more.

What did she need to do?

Moments later, Mikasa found herself desperate searching through the contacts of her phone.

Annie was asleep because she had a photoshoot today and she couldn't risk being awake.

Levi... just no.

Despite being so popular, Mikasa didn't have many friends. She even thought back to people who she had only met a few times, like Ymir Fritz. However, her search was futile.

Then, she came across someone's name.

'They're probably asleep. But... I need to speak with someone. Texting them won't hurt... right?' Mikasa thought. Soon, Mikasa had just sent a message to this number.

Her message read, "are you awake?" Mikasa impatiently waited by her phone, only to realize her actions.

"They're not going to be awake now. It's 2am, what am I thinking?" She muttered.

As she prepared to sit down on her living room couch to watch random shows until sleep eventually overcame her, her phone dinged.

Mikasa immediately picked up her phone and saw their contact on her phone.

"Yeah. I'm surprised you are though." Read their message.

Mikasa smiled. "Are you busy right now?" Mikasa sent another message.

"Nope. Just lying in bed." The number responded.

Mikasa inhaled sharply as she took a risk when she sent them another message that read, "can we FaceTime?"
-

Mikasa awoke to the sound of birds chirping outside her window. She was rested on her couch, making her suspect that she never actually went back to bed.