026: Remember

Mikasa held the kiss longer than she had expected to.

She stayed there and each time Eren tried to move backwards, Mikasa would move forward to continue pressing her lips against his.

She could smell the alcohol seeping from his lips, but that didn't make her stop. It was only when she was out of breath did she finally pull away.

She stared at Eren's dumbfounded eyes and immediately cursed herself out mentally for doing something so bold.

"Wh—" Eren couldn't bring himself to speak coherently.

"I-I'm sorry." Mikasa quietly apologized as she backed up. She prepared to run as she bit her bottom lip, tears swimming in her eyes.

Eren grabbed her wrist before she ran, making her look up at him.

"Mikasa..." Eren slowly began, "why did you kiss me?" He asked.

"I-I..." Mikasa stumbled as she struggled to gather the words to explain her action. "How many times do you think we've kissed before?" Mikasa asked.

Eren shrugged. "First time, right?"

Mikasa's breath hitched in her throat one tear fell. She quickly wiped it away, but more tears fell in place of it and they never seemed to stop.

"Whoa whoa whoa whoa. What's wrong?" Eren asked as he let go of her wrist. "Is it something I did?" He asked.

Mikasa felt her shoulders shake as her legs felt weak.

'This aching feeling won't go away.' She thought.

She let out a small whimper as she leaned against the wall to support her, since her legs had started to become weak.

Eren stood there, dumbfounded at the sight he was seeing.

Mikasa Ackerman, the famous Mikasa Ackerman, showed up at his doorstep with a cake, kissed him, and is now crying in front of him.

Was it something he did?

Then he thought of it.

'I don't remember her...' He thought. 'That's why she's so hurt... It's all because I can't remember her.'

Eren swallowed hard as he mentally prepared himself for the action he was about to do. He wrapped his arms around Mikasa and instantly felt her melt into their embrace.

She dug her face into his shirt and he could feel it get wet. Mikasa's whimpers were muffled as she grabbed a handful of the fabric at Eren's shirt.

"I'm sorry." She quietly managed through her tears. "I'm so sorry. I-I just wanted you to remember me." She sobbed.

Eren shushed her in attempt to lull her as he gently stroked her hair.

'This is something I would've done before.. right?'

He finally felt her settle. Mikasa stopped trembling as her tears were reduced to a minimum before they ultimately stopped.

She let out a shaky sigh as she looked up at Eren from his chest.

Her under-eyes were coated with the color red from her very recent crying, and her eyes were extremely puffy. Despite having finished crying, her lip still quivered under her tear-stained face.

"What does the medicine do?" Mikasa asked in a hushed tone.

"Uhh... it jogs my memory, but not all the way." Eren admitted, a little confused at her statement.

Then, it hit him. "C-Can you take it... please?" Mikasa asked.

Eren bit his lip and averted his gaze. There's a reason he forced himself to stop taking his medicine. It's because of a certain woman.